New freelander

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it a great improvement on the old one. It now looks like a RR Sport. Hmmmm! - I could convince SWMBO I think.

We have a 2001 model that we like because it is light in side with a good oddment section in the Dash.

We were going to swap it at the three year point as LR offererd such a good deal. We could hand back our car, pay less than we were each month and walk out with a new car! On the face of it very tempting. BUT - the facelift model left a lot to be desired we thought. Whilst the front was OK'ish - it seemed bitty.

The interior was a great disapointment. Gone was the light airy coliurs and in with an awful black. The instruments were far more difficult to see and again the background was black - gone was the lovely Olive Green instruments that look SO GOOD on ours.

BUT! - the last straw was the salesman glibly showing us the coffee cup holders in the dash that were apparently "Designed to take the McDonalds Coffee cardboard cup". At that point we left, deciding we liked what we had.

So what I have seen so far on the new Freelander is very encouraging. A good "family" resemblance to the other models and a better designed interior.

It is going to sell in HUGE numbers and be a real success!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm hoping to see it at Gaydon tommorrow as I'm up there having a play with a Range Rover Sport Supercharged! My biggest issue with it is the diesel auto (which won't be out until March 07) will have a towing limit of 1750kg whereas the manual is 2000kg which does seem a shame. I've had one on order since December for my wife and am looking forward to driving it. BTW there are 2 different fronts which I believe represents diesel and petrol. It seems silly also that the new oil burner is also called td4 which will lead to confusion with the existing Freelander. It looks good off road too with better exit and entry angles, greater ground clearance and a wading depth to match a defender!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems that as far as LR are concerned - Td4 and TD4 is enough of a difference! - In time I am sure it will be.

The Volvo derived petrol engine being designated just "i6" is a bit odd as well - but I am sure we will get used to it.

I hope to see one at the Billing show next w/e to get a closer look.

I wonder what engines they will use in the LR2 three door varient due to be launched a fair bit later. They will need a 4 cylinder petrol in that I am sure - but not sure it will be the K Series.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There won't be a 3 door model, neither will there be a smaller petrol engine. Freelander is moving upmarket and as such the 3 door and 1.8 engines are history. Being part of PAG means there is no point in making cheap cars, that is what Ford do!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Paul - but there is a three door variant planned launched in 2007/8 - its code name is LR2 - However it is substantially different to the new Freelander.

It is currently called the Baby Freelander in the press.

Just Google " LR2 Baby Freelander " - loads of info available

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LR2 is the US name for Freelander, I saw loads of them at Gaydon yesterday. The baby landie project which was supposed to be a cheap entry level 4x4 has been shelved as LR felt there was not enough profit in that sector, doesn't sit well with LR being part of the Premier Automotive Group. These brands are all about exclusivity, Ford make the cheap cars PAG make the expensive ones. Phil Popham the new MD has done an interview in LROI magazine about it.

I had a good look at the new Freelander in the flesh yesterday and was very impressed. It has a much bigger boot, looks bigger on the road and judging by the ones I saw on the track, goes like stink, although not as fast as the SC Range Rover Sport I was in!!

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Any news on seating and head height in the new Freelander. The old model is only fit for people under 6'1'.

My wife wanted the old model but it was a non starter for me and our son. "built for midgets" was or 17 year olds comment at the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The car is about 2" lower than at Range Rover at access height if that is any help! As the US is going to me a major market for it headroom shouldn't be an issue, but I'm only 5'4" so what do I know. I bang my head on the A pillar on my wife's Freelander though :(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive's comment on salespersons reminds me of out visit to Land Rover prior to buying the first X-Trail.

When asked if the driver's seat was height adjustable we were told in a condescending way

"You sit up high in these vehicles ,Sir"

We are now on the 3rd X-Trail where we sit up just as high and the driver's seat is height adjustable.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Exactly the same sort of answer we got in Guildford, I'd been to by a new bike nexr door and my wife went to look at the Freelander that she really liked.

My son and I got in and with heads hard against the roof we were looking for the seat height adjustment. The guy spoke as if it was something that was only available in the likes of a Rolls Royce and my wife had to point out that even her humble ageing Peugeot had height adjustment. Don't know if it changed but I was told none of the range featured it at the time.

My wife has seen the new model, but they will lose another sale if that has not been addressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts