New Hobby Caravan picture PCv Mag dec 2011

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very sleek looking Hobby in this picture. Hard to see how it's constructed.
At first glance it certainly catches the eye and the price seems comparable with our UK models.
Is there any more info out there?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Very sleek looking Hobby in this picture. Hard to see how it's constructed.
At first glance it certainly catches the eye and the price seems comparable with our UK models.
Is there any more info out there?
Very few people buy the PC magazine so maybe a website link to the caravan would be better.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Very few people buy the PC magazine so maybe a website link to the caravan would be better.
That'll get the censors out - the forum exist to promote the magazine, not put it out of business !!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Sadly the twin axle versions are(legally) too long body wise to tow without a vehicle over 3500kg.
Only the 650 and 720 look like they exceed the 7m body length limit - the 560 may be 8.01m overall length but it's body length that's used, not the overall.
Or is it only the 650 and 720 that are twin axles.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently did some work on a new hobby, I am pretty sure it was a hobby prestige 560, it was a single axle, I had an opportunity to have a good mooch around and I have to say I was very impressed with the layout and the general feel of quality about it, a really nice van.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only Hobby vans up to and including 560series are under 7 mtrs body length.
Model numbers above are all over 7 mtrs.

Up to 540 series are 2.3mtrs wide
560 and above are 2.55mtrs

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Damian
Ignoring the length it's interesting to see the bedrooms are at the front end.
Bailey tried this format with the Pageant S6 Vendee. It didn't work!!
That said I do like what I see.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Can you provide any data that would substantiate that statement Surfer?
Is there a figure that has provided the basis for your assertion?
Very few people buy the PC magazine in comparison to what? Daily newspapers? Copies of The Bible? Books about cake decorating?

RogerL said:
That'll get the censors out - the forum exist to promote the magazine, not put it out of business !!
A slightly cynical view Roger, and if challenging an assertion not based on visible factual evidence is seen as censorship in your world then I'm not sure that you've quite grasped the concept of debate.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Very nice inside and out, did think when I first saw it though that the front was a little avondaleesque, not that that's a bad thing! No layouts uk legal or not looked like they'd suit us at the moment though. Shame!!!! Oh and Swimbo did buy me the mag this month to keep me occupied in recovery.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
RogerL said:
A slightly cynical view Roger, and if challenging an assertion not based on visible factual evidence is seen as censorship in your world then I'm not sure that you've quite grasped the concept of debate.
Parksy - I've had major issues in the past with moderators of this forum, including yourself I recall, about threads/posts which were critical of PCV magazine and/or it's advertisers so edited out of existence.
I try to avoid such confrontations nowadays and was simply advising Surfer on this issue.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I had a look around this model at the NEC show. Externally, there was huge showroom appeal, but it would be interesting to see how the shiny black panels look after a seasons touring following a battering with road grit etc. Internally, I couldn't make my mind up. The kitchen and lounge areas looked good (although perhaps a bit "bling"), but the bed look awful and the pokey little washroom, well...... pokey!
I don't think that I'll be rushing out to buy one (even if it could be towed legally). Sadly, (in my own opinion) Hobbys are too connected with a caravanning element that I wouldn't wish to be part of. Sorry (and no offence to anyone intended).

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
Parksy - I've had major issues in the past with moderators of this forum, including yourself I recall, about threads/posts which were critical of PCV magazine and/or it's advertisers so edited out of existence.
I try to avoid such confrontations nowadays and was simply advising Surfer on this issue.

I also recall the major issues in the past that moderators, including myself, had with your insistence on breaking the rules of the forum which caused your posts were edited at the time.
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
Surfer said:
Can you provide any data that would substantiate that statement Surfer?
Is there a figure that has provided the basis for your assertion?
Very few people buy the PC magazine in comparison to what? Daily newspapers? Copies of The Bible? Books about cake decorating?

RogerL said:

There are over 1 million caranners about in a population of over 70 million so in comparison very few people buy PC magazine and I was not knocking the magazine, just stating a fact, as I don't want to go buy the magazine just to see one picture. You don't have to be a subscriber to the magazine to post on this forum.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Correct Surfer, this is a public access forum and besides being a source of tourer related advice and information this forum is seen as the online voice of Practical Caravan magazine, although there is no fee to post here. (and you can still come to the rally
lol.gif
)
As it happens ABC circulation figures for Practical Caravan magazine from January - December 2009 show that 40,242 copies were sold in that year, no doubt this figure has since risen which considering the difficult economic situation and relatively small potential market is pretty good.
This website looks a better bet than an online version of the magazine under present trading conditions because according to the Press Gazette digital editions of magazines account for less than 1% of overall sales.
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
This website looks a better bet than an online version of the magazine under present trading conditions because according to the Press Gazette digital editions of magazines account for less than 1% of overall sales.
smiley-smile.gif

I guess a lot depends on how much an online subscription costs. BTW what Online magazines does the Press Gazette monitor?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Presumably it monitors those which report sales figures to ABC and which are shown on the list which you can see from the link

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All this negativity!
What came first ?
The Mag or the Forum?

I've retired but listening to some of you, you must be living on thin air. If so then I truly feel for you.
However I do enjoy PCv and my family and neighbours get it after me. I'v l earnt a lot from the mag and indeed the small adverts. What is the gripe here??
We get adverts every time we sign onto to the forum. BUT you don't have to read them.
Keep up the good work Nigel D and colleagues.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog, it runs in cycles, it is all harmonius for a while then it seems S.A.D kicks in and brings out the other side of some people.
Me......I am just miserable all year so nothing changes, and even totally wrong information and unsubstantiated assertations dont change my mood................well, not much.

Just to reinforce the point, all the argument about PCV Magazine is off topic, the topic is the 2012 Hobby.

If people want to argue the toss about the magazine, is circulation figures, its advertising,
smiley-yell.gif
START another topic.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
offtopic.gif

I had a look around the Hobby at the NEC and although there were some features that I liked I'd agree that the example that I saw looked a wee bit flashy for my tastes. I was disappointed to see that one of the locker handles had broken and it looked like fairly cheap moulded plastic when I'd have expected better after hearing so much about German build quality. OK,it was only a locker handle on a caravan that had probably had hundreds of people traipsing through it but I got the distinct impression that this blinged up caravan was an example of style over substance.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In fairness to all manufacturers, show vans are usually the first off the production line and modifications are made almost from day one, and certainly from show one, when weaknesses will be apparent from the sheer number of fiddling hands grappling with everything moveable .
You only need to look at the Pegasus as an example.
My own Hobby is now 3 years old and nothing has broken or dropped off, it is still as good as the day I bought it, and the front bed layout is ideal as there is more headroom in the back as the roof does not slope like the front.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's a lot to like, this new model is definitely a head turner with the blacked out wraparound front section.
The handles looked quite large and solid until I saw the broken one which sort of threw me a bit. It was difficult to move around in the show model because so many people wanted to have a look inside.
My mate bought a new Olympus just over a year ago which he's very disappointed with because of niggling faults but I'm happy to say that our 4 year old Abbey 620 is as good as new (touch wood and I really look after it) and we use it regularly on sites and rallies in summer and in winter.
Luck of the draw I suppose, there are plenty of gripes about Swift built caravans but ours is everything that we hoped that it would be and more but nobody would look twice at it.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Dustydog, it runs in cycles, it is all harmonius for a while then it seems S.A.D kicks in and brings out the other side of some people.
Me......I am just miserable all year so nothing changes, and even totally wrong information and unsubstantiated assertations dont change my mood................well, not much.

Just to reinforce the point, all the argument about PCV Magazine is off topic, the topic is the 2012 Hobby.

If people want to argue the toss about the magazine, is circulation figures, its advertising,
smiley-yell.gif
START another topic.

You tell that to Parksy who brought up the advertising issue.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:

Au Contraire Surfer
smiley-frown.gif

offtopic.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
RogerL said:

Au Contraire Surfer
smiley-frown.gif

offtopic.gif

Are you having a bad day Parksy? Fancy picking on Roger instead of me!
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts