New keys for Avondale Dart

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
We're just in the process of buying an Avondale Dart 556/6 through the local car auctions - it's a finance company repossesion.

The only problem with it is that there is no key. The main door is open, but the gas locker, front locker etc are all locked. Can I somehow find out what key will fit the locks - possibly by taking the lock off the main door, or will I need to get new locks on all the lockers and main door ?

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Andy,

A couple of ideas:

A good locksmith should be able to make a set of keys for you - and rather than call them out - remove the lock that is open - take it to them and let them get on with it.

Once you have the chassis / VIN number - contact the manufacturers - they should have records of the keys - and order a new set.

Robert

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I emailed Avondale earlier on today. No reply yet, but I'll try phoning tomorrow. Hopefully, as you say, they have records of key numbers etc and can let us buy a set to fit.

The new 'van is now at home, after a slightly hair-raising drive in this crazy wind we've got just now. Seems to tow very nicely though, steady as a rock, apart from the massive gusts.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Why not takin the lock along to an Avondale dealer and get them to try with their big bunch assuming the reply from Avondale is fruitless
I would think that Avondale would want to see some proof of ownership other than just the chassis/vin number . Otherwise any old caravan theif could ring them for a set of replacement keys.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Whoops sorry above wrong button !!, anyway

I would think that Avondale would want to see some proof of ownership other than just the chassis/vin number . Otherwise any old caravan theif could ring them for a set of replacement keys.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You may not need to be be that technical, i understand there are only a couple of hundred different types of keys for vans.

Such is the poor security, many of them fit different vans so a dealer may let you try a few to see what fits?

For mine i only got one set from new, ordered another which was completely different, the story went on...and i ended up trying the spare and it fita everthing!!. So i have two sets of keys that look like chalk and cheese and fit the lot.....

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Today I called Avondale. To say they weren't much help would be an understatement - they said that my only option is to buy a complete set of new locks, and drill the old locks out of the gas locker / battery box / front locker / loo doors!

Then I called the local Avondale dealer here, who was a bit more helpful - suggested finding out who the original dealer was and calling them to see whether they have records of key numbers. I did that (thanks to the dealer sticker on the van), and got the key number an hour or so later on my answer phone.

I was a little surprised to not be asked for proof of ownership, as you say, but I guess this would be a very long way round to get into a caravan if didn't own it - it's not like they're very secure anyway, I'm sure I could think of a quicker way if I didn't mind making a bit of mess. I'll be off to the local dealer tomorrow to get a key and see if it fits, so I can actually lock the van door.

More fun trying to get the van CRiS registered. Given the lack of paperwork with the van, they understandably wouldn't issue registration docs with just a phone call. Good for them. I've had to write to them with proof of ID and a copy of the purchase receipt for the van, and then they'll get back to me. She didn't say as much, but I presume they'll be off to check that the van isn't recorded as stolen before I get anything back from them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts