New lottery owner?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was not aware that the lottery was taken over on 1st Feb and is now managed by Allwyn a company owned by a Czech Karel Komárek? Media seem to have been very quiet on this as don't remember them making dire predictions etc. I wonder if Allwyn has also taken over the Eurolottery pr just the UK lottery? As long as my winning numbers come up this week, not bothered who owns the lottery. Are there any enterprises left in the UK that are British? LOL! :D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I was not aware that the lottery was taken over on 1st Feb and is now managed by Allwyn a company owned by a Czech Karel Komárek? Media seem to have been very quiet on this as don't remember them making dire predictions etc. I wonder if Allwyn has also taken over the Eurolottery pr just the UK lottery? As long as my winning numbers come up this week, not bothered who owns the lottery. Are there any enterprises left in the UK that are British? LOL! :D
Linked to that news, many sub-post offices have stopped selling lottery tickets as the scratch cards are no longer profitable and the rules prevent them selling lottery tickets if they don't sell scratchcards.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Linked to that news, many sub-post offices have stopped selling lottery tickets as the scratch cards are no longer profitable and the rules prevent them selling lottery tickets if they don't sell scratchcards.
Apparently the postmasters need to buy the scratch cards. I cannot remember when last we bought a scratch card.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, HMG, Revenue and Customs plus a few others. Dyson, JCB and Ineos to name a few. It’s swings and roundabouts as UK companies were by far the biggest overseas investors in the USA.

Never bought a lottery or scratch card.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I never understood why our British National Lottery was run by a Canadian Teachers Pension Plan, Branson was grounded , now the Czechs. No hope for us. I do buy lottery tickets not scratch cards

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
It's not really been heavily publicised because Alwyn bought Camelot to make the transition easier. We've used it as a natural break to stop playing it. Played since it started. Most I won was £70, so I think we're down quite a bit 😥.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Never bought a scratch card and never done the National Lottery since winning a large sum back in 1995. Ended up divorced three years later. Money certainly cannot buy happiness but it can enhance happiness if you already are happy or bring on misery a lot earlier if you aren't already happy.

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It was announced some considerable time ago and seems to have been forgotten by now. I doubt customers will notice and difference though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Either way it seems it was snuck in under the radar?
Isn’t it a normal business deal, same as happens every day with other businesses. I really don’t see it as “snuck under the radar”. But I expect most users don’t give a fig about who runs it as long as they can get their cards and tickets.

Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s a very sad day when the UK owns nothing. Lottery , Supermarkets, football teams etc.
I read talk of future wars. Not good for us if we have to buy everything in🥲

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s a very sad day when the UK owns nothing. Lottery , Supermarkets, football teams etc.
I read talk of future wars. Not good for us if we have to buy everything in🥲
We own a lot of investments in companies based in UK and are still the largest foreign investor in the USA. Within Europe we are no longer the largest recipient of foreign inwards investment as that has passed to France. But we are second to a France so the investment is providing jobs and businesses which must be a benefit.

I read somewhere where the “I’m backing Britain “ tee shirts came from Portugal 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman and RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In a relatively unpublicised acquisition BAE have just completed the acquisition of the US Ball Aerospace at just under $5bn dollars. A reasonable quid pro quo for a lottery. Wonder what members of Practical Winnebago have to say about that 😱

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Either way it seems it was snuck in under the radar?
It was announced when the new contract was awarded with the press wanting to know why it went to a foreign company so I think we had notice of the change. This was possibly forgotten about until the change took place. I did think the previous operator was Canadian though, but if I am wrong no doubt someone will correct me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts