New member in Sussex

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello, Reading your forum I see that there is a problem of security with caravaning either at home or on tour. Can I pick your brains. I am semi retired but design small electronic devices for the security industry. I would just like to know if anyone on the forum thinks that a DIY security device might be the answer. Don't worry I can't sell you one because I have to make it. But I do have a device that is as loud as a formula one racing car at 3 meters so not a toy and might be adapted for the caravaning community needs. How long should the battery life be off mains charge and any other thoughts would be welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ed as you say security is a problem, more os in some areas than others. The 'loud noise' device is a good idea but is already in use - a number of people buy the personal attack devices and secure them in various ways (which i'm clearly not going to describe on an open forum) but the problem is that they tend not to work until the caravan is moved. The ideal is to deter or prevent the first stage attack, which is usually to remove existing security devices or open doors to disarm fitted alarm systems.

There is also the problem that, except at night, who is going to hear such an alarm and - even if they hear it - do something about it. I believe there are also limits on how loud domestic alarms are allowed to be and also on how long they are may sound.

In this day and age is is very difficult to defeat the determined thief armed with easily obtainable portable tools. The bset philosophy seems to be to make the 'van unattractive i.e. harder to steal than others, and this requires protection which is visually obvious.

interesting idea.caravan battery though large at 85 to 110 amp do go flat especially in storage, independent power source is needed really, thieves tend to remove battery of van,to disarm security,size would be a factor and how to hide it,there was one product that was called snake bite which thru the towing electrics would blow the car fuses rendering the tow car useless,does not seem to be available now,being able to recharge in situ would be an advantage.there is already a variety of alarms going of on movement thru a tilt sensor,heat sensor,ect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts