New member & newbie to vanning

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Good evening all
Just a quick note to say we are new to caravanning, and would appreciate all the help & tips that you seasoned caravaners can pass on.
My wife Tina & me Grizzly(Rick) have just purchased a second hand caravan, & we will update you as to our travels, after we pick the van up.
Firstly i need a descent tow car, we are looking at the Rexton 2.2, an older Volvo XC90, & Bmw X5, any reccomendations would be welcomed.
We live in Stoke, and for the first few tours would be staying in this country, as i still have to work, OH is retired.
Our Rotti will enjoy our forays as much as we hope to.
Grizzly signing out.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick & Tina, welcome to the forum and congratulations on buying your caravan.
Your choice of tow vehicle will depend on what you will be towing, how heavy is your caravan and will you be using your tow car as your daily drive?
Your caravan will have a weight plate, usually by the entrance door or on the hitch.
Did you pass your driving test before 1997?
If not there's restrictions on the overall weight of the combination.
My top tip is if you bought a pre- owned caravan check the age of the tyres before towing, they should be changed after seven years maximum, regardless of tread depth because tyres degrade with age and you don't want a blowout,
If there's anything you want to know, just ask. :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Whatto and welcome to the forum.

I understand that the 2.2 Rexton is much better than their thankfully brief play with the 2.0l. In the past we had a couple of 2.7 Rextons with no issues. They are a better buy second hand than new as they lose value very very quickly and steeply. I would say it's a perfectly adequate tow car. I would say that our Isuzu D-Max that followed gave a more stable feel and better handling. It was very good at the job in hand.

I have heard good reports of the XC90 by those in the family that have had them and used them for towing duties. Personally I wouldn't have a BMW but that's just me.

Other popular choices would be Shoguns and Sorrento/Santa Fe.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome.
We have bought 2016 Adria Estella Amazon, i will need a 4x4 because wgt is 1800kgs, and yes it will be my only car.I had a Navara as apool car for years, excellent ride i thought, but the OH wants something a bit more comfortable.
I could buy a newer Rexton maybe 2015/16, but for a Volvo at my 20k budget would be considerably earlier reg
We just cant wait to pick up the van, i am also booking in for a towing course locally, just to pick up the basics, and yes i passed my test back in 1979, so my foot to the floor days are well behind me.
As regards to tyres, the van was only used twice so we were told, buit i will check for signs of cracking when we pick it up.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
On reading forum posts, i presumed a heavy towcar would make for a more enjoyable/safe vehicle.
Also a large boot will be required as i want to keep most of the holidaying kit in the Car rather than the caravan.
I am open to suggestions though if you feel i should be looking down different avenues.
I am really leaning towards a newer 2015/16 Rexton 2.2 as there are some great deals out there at the moment.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Grizzly,

Perhaps worth looking at some of the bigger estate cars with automatic transmission, Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6, BMW5 Series or Skoda Superb, pulling power plus fairly good fuel economy.

The Skoda Superb is a very sensible buy and like the others has oodles of space.

I changed my car last year and wish that I had put a Lexus in my list for consideration.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Grizzly, welcome to the forum. The 1997 question was because passing your test after 1997 gives you a more limited licence in terms of towing than if you passed before. You will be fine. The Prof makes a good point about non 4x4 but if you end up towing in snow, like we did last month, or if you are rallying on muddy fields, you may be glad of the pulling power 4 wheel drive can offer. Depends on your touring plans really. We had a Sante Fe previously and rather liked it, also had a Freelander and liked this even more.
Happy touring.
Mel

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.
A 4x4 would also enable us to navigate the rather steep country lane to get to our house in bad weather, that is another reason.
I understand some of the large estates would be capable of towing the van, but surely the heavier the tow vehicle the safer,
or am i wrong again, hence the reason for asking these questions, you guys know better than me because i am new to all this. Believe me i am taking all your suggestions on-board, with a hope of knowing what to do next.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again,

My question was prompted, becasue some people think that a 4x4 is the only way to go if you caravan, In reality 90% of caravanners never need the particular attributes of a 4x4 and would do equally well with a decent car or possibly MPV.

large 4x4's are not particularly suited to every day motoring, poorer fuel consumption, higher emissions, and physical size can be a problem in pollution zones in cities. Servicing and tyres generally cost more than for "normal" cars. Handling is far less nimble.

So for some it's worth considering the total driving needs, and looking at the proportion of driving solo and towing. If you do a lot more solo than towing you might be better considering those needs above the towing provided the car is actually capable of managing the caravan.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As a caravan tug and a daily drive with 4x4 when needed you could do worse than a Kia Sorento which is easily within your budget.
The 2.2 facelift version has a 2000kg maximum towing capacity with a 100kg noseweight limit (noseweight is the weight at your towing hitch when measured correctly, at tow ball height on level ground).
The caravan is over the recommended 85% towing ratio for beginners, so in this case a towing course is recommended.
With the seats folded down there would be ample room for luggage and accessories, thus minimising the overall weight (MTPLM) of your caravan which if I'm correct is an Adria Astella Amazon

Click Here
to read towcar editor David Motton's Kia Sorento review

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Grizzly, we had 3 litre Vectra diesel, a good tow car weight about 1950 kg. Changed for a Santa Fe. Another good tow car, a nicer tow as being higher up.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions guys, i will book in for a two day course near to me when i have chosen which car to get.
All your advice is being noted, and i will test them on the road, bearing in mind they will act differently with a van behind them.
Guess its what feels right at the time.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi All
Well been busy testing tow cars, tried 2012 Q7, 2014 XC90, Rexton & Jeep.
We have finally put deposit down on Jeep GC, towbar fitting next week, for me to collect on 20th March.
Next job is to book local towing class, 2 day course but i think its a must for anyone new to vanning.
I will let you know how i get on.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The car should be fine for the job. I have always fancied a Jeep for the style but SWMBO will only accept a regular car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts