New Member solo trip planned with children advice please!

Apr 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi there We have just bought our first family caravan and with three very young children we are finding it wonderful but of course sometimes hard work.I would just like to ask any other mums take their children away in it without somebody else with them as I would love to start taking the children away during the school holidays when my husband has to work to really maximise the benefit of the caravans cost effectiveness.So if anyone else has had experience of this I would love to hear how it went.Did you feel safe on your own in the caravan with the children,Was it too much like hard work than a holiday or was it easier than being stuck in at home with not much to do.I really would love to hear any stories or advice as I am toying with the idea at the moment and need just that extra push or warning to help my decision.

Thanks

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My wife towed our caravan when the kids were young.

But you need to concentrate more so when towing than just driving and our eldest was not the best of travellers and would wind up our other two.

If you have saintly kids when in the car, you will have a head start. She was happy to stay at sites with the children but I often went with her and returned to work as bickering kids behind you is not ideal.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Our neighbours have decided to put their van on a seasonal pitch for exactly the reasons you mention - no towing involved and little involved in set up.

I think it works out cheaper then staying for several fortnights at the same site as well.

Drawback - same site every time!

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Fiona, We have three young children 5 and 2 1/2 yr old twins. We started caravanning last year and love it. I can't imagine going it alone with the children though. It is very stressful when we first arrive on site as my husband needs to get the van ready and put up the awning and I try to keep the children amused. Really I could do with helping him so that it is done quicker, but what do you do with the little ones. They are not old enough to go off and play alone. Also we take turns to go off and have a shower whilst the other one watches the children. Is this a holiday we are talking about!!!! I always say its not a holiday - just a change of scenery. By the way how old are your childre.? Denise

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Good for you Fiona. I am a single mum and I caravan with my two children aged 10 and 11. Believe me, it IS worth it and truly better than being stuck at home. I did a caravan manoeuvering course to give me confidence towing and reversing and I subscribe to a roadside assistance scheme. I also joined both clubs and now attend regional meetings on local sites where I frequently meet other women on their own with children. It's true you can't entertain the kids while towing but you don't need to go far - besides, the children don't care where you go, for them it's just fun being in the caravan and away from home. The wonderful thing about caravanners is they are a friendly bunch - there is always someone to call on for help whether it's putting up the awning, levelling the van or whatever. Go for it! Any other questions, just ask. Feel the fear and do it anyway!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts