Aug 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi I am new to this forum and would appreciate any information on the towing suitability of the latest Toyota Rav4 140 diesel.

I am thinking of buying one but I don't know much about their towing ability. Has anyone towed with one? I have read that the back door is awkward to use when hitched up. I tow a 2004 Sterling moonstone with alko hitchlock can anyone tell me if this works ok with the spare wheel sticking out the back of the Toyota. At present I tow with a Volvo v70 diesel which is great but would like a higher seating position.I don't need the off road ability or want the cost of a large 4 wheel drive.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi William,

Welcome to the forum - funny, just been reading a group test of the new Rav 4 versus the Sportage and the Vitara in this months 4x4 mag.

They do not rate the latest Rav and criticise it for being too high tech and expensive - the Sportage comes out top in fact but bear in mind that this is essentially a mag biased towards off roading and not caravanning. I think PC did the Sportage recently too but I can't remember what they said.

If you are worried about the spare wheel position that is another factor in favour of the sportage as it's spare is not door mounted - it also has a higher kerb wieght by the way but only a 1600kg max tow.

I have towed with various large "wheel on door" 4x4's and experienced varying amounts of difficulty with the Alko type of hitch lock but always managed to hook up without resorting to drastic measures. Alko do a removable clamp handle mod which may be useful and you might find that a suitably sized spacer or long swan neck towball does the trick - wait for replies from users because someone out there will be using a Rav 4 for sure.

Best of luck in the choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts