New rules for travellers overseas

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
See from the paper today that we shall soon have to give even more personal and other information before being allowed out of UK. This looks very much like the data you have to provide to visit USA.

If it helps with better border controls I don't have a problem with it, but one requirement is to provide an itinary and return dates.

So how do we now have a "touring France" holiday with no sites booked, no addresses available and sometimes no return date - sometimes like to come home when I've had enought, although it's a bit more expensive than pre-booking.

I trust our major Clubs will be keeping a close eye on this situation - it may be an idea for members to write to them telling them we expect them to do so.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hobby sailors, fishermen and such will also,it seems, be required to supply such information too though how on earth the powers that be could enforce this with all the many small harbours around the country remains to be seen. Perhaps they will be required to supply details - in triplicate on the appropriate forms with required notice. Nice idea in principle but impractable. Another case of the government putting it's foot down with a firm spin?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As also suggested in the newspaper article, the plan may be in violation of EU guarantee of freedom of movement. It's certainly in stark contrast to the total deletion of all border control once you've entered the mainland EU.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hobby sailors, fishermen and such will also,it seems, be required to supply such information too though how on earth the powers that be could enforce this with all the many small harbours around the country remains to be seen. Perhaps they will be required to supply details - in triplicate on the appropriate forms with required notice. Nice idea in principle but impractable. Another case of the government putting it's foot down with a firm spin?
With satellite images ( the clarity of which we can only guess at ) and modern computers, they will know on which side of a pontoon a boat was berthed anywhere in the world for as long as they wish to keep a record; just you wait and see.

Olly.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'm old enough to have lived through times when your passport was checked every time you entered or left Britain. Surely in those days yachtsmen would have had to have 'done something - somewhere' if they were leaving Britain to sail elsewhere.

What's happened is that we've realised that our slack border controls are just not being policed properly - and that as a result people are getting in who shouldn't, and going to places there they also shouldn't for purposes that they also perhaps shouldn't be involved in. I have no objection to logging my

journeys wherever, and whatever they may be - I've nothing to hide - after all who's interest in 'two weeks in the Gorges du Tarn' or 'ten days in Cambrils'. And I hope that by going back to strict border controls, then those who have something to hide will no longer have anything to hide behind - and that six months in somewhere in the far east, may well invite more intest by the powers that be than my two week camping or caravanning holiday!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'm old enough to have lived through times when your passport was checked every time you entered or left Britain. Surely in those days yachtsmen would have had to have 'done something - somewhere' if they were leaving Britain to sail elsewhere.

What's happened is that we've realised that our slack border controls are just not being policed properly - and that as a result people are getting in who shouldn't, and going to places there they also shouldn't for purposes that they also perhaps shouldn't be involved in. I have no objection to logging my

journeys wherever, and whatever they may be - I've nothing to hide - after all who's interest in 'two weeks in the Gorges du Tarn' or 'ten days in Cambrils'. And I hope that by going back to strict border controls, then those who have something to hide will no longer have anything to hide behind - and that six months in somewhere in the far east, may well invite more intest by the powers that be than my two week camping or caravanning holiday!
Sorry, several typos there - perhaps late on a Saturday night is not the best time to post on an emotive subject.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't see how it can work. Who's to stop anyone from saying they're going on a day trip to Calais when they're actually going to leave the country forever? And what will be gained by the authorities knowing whether you are going to the Vendee instead of the Adriatic? And what if you change your mind en route once you're in France because of the weather? I can't see anything more than checking passports upon leaving the country is going to benefit anyone. It all seems very pointless to me.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
It is pointless Lutz. It will be a case of the law abiding being inconvenienced but telling the truth and everybody else telling lies and getting away with it. Do they really think people are going to tell the truth if they're up to no good?

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Following on your point Chrisbee; when airport security ask who packed the suitcase and has anyone else had access to it . . . . . does anyone admit to the case being packed by a swarthy chap with a beard and that it has been ticking ever since ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts