new to caravans

May 22, 2008
Visit site
hi,myself are looking to purchase a caravan for 1st time we have a 1.6 citroen xsara(saloon/not picasso),and no tow bar as of yet.my questions are this,is car man enough to tow a caravan and what size can i tow?also where would be best place to get tow bar/lights fitted?kind regards rob maxted

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Robert,

Perhaps the first thing to do is to dig out your Citroen owners manual and in the technical section, look-up the maximum braked trailer weight and the kerb-weight of the car.

I'm guessing that the maximum braked trailer weight will be around 1000 to 1100 kg, and that places a legal limit on what you can tow - so you'll certainly be looking at a lighter weight caravan.

I'm guessing that the Citroen kerb-weight will be around 1200 to 1300 kg - which if you've never towed a caravan before, there is a suggestion that you keep the maximum caravan weight to less than 85% of the car kerb-weight - or around 1000 kg

If it's just a caravan for you, and possibly a partner too, then you might want to look at Eriba, T@B, and other similar light-weight, functional and cute caravans.

If you want a more traditional shaped caravan, and don't want to spend too much money - then older caravans tend to be lighter than their modern replacements.

Look on the Internet for owners clubs, images and reviews - and see if you like what you see. Then take a look at www.whattowcar.com which will give a rough assessment of how your car and caravan will work...

If you need a caravan for a whole 2+2 family - then that's going to be hard with a 1.6 Citroen...

Robert

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Robert,

Perhaps the first thing to do is to dig out your Citroen owners manual and in the technical section, look-up the maximum braked trailer weight and the kerb-weight of the car.

I'm guessing that the maximum braked trailer weight will be around 1000 to 1100 kg, and that places a legal limit on what you can tow - so you'll certainly be looking at a lighter weight caravan.

I'm guessing that the Citroen kerb-weight will be around 1200 to 1300 kg - which if you've never towed a caravan before, there is a suggestion that you keep the maximum caravan weight to less than 85% of the car kerb-weight - or around 1000 kg

If it's just a caravan for you, and possibly a partner too, then you might want to look at Eriba, T@B, and other similar light-weight, functional and cute caravans.

If you want a more traditional shaped caravan, and don't want to spend too much money - then older caravans tend to be lighter than their modern replacements.

Look on the Internet for owners clubs, images and reviews - and see if you like what you see. Then take a look at www.whattowcar.com which will give a rough assessment of how your car and caravan will work...

If you need a caravan for a whole 2+2 family - then that's going to be hard with a 1.6 Citroen...

Robert
ok matey thank you kindly

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Freedom Caravans are extremely lightweight (ours is 650kg). They are made of GRP (fibreglass to me) so any leaks are easily fixed. They are also dead basic and small, with a price tag to match. If you want luxury, hot water, a bathroom, full oven, TV aerial etc, they are not for you. But if you are planning to use the caravan site's facilities, and want to keep your current car, it's worth having a look at one. The only UK dealer is in Stafford, and the website isn't wonderful, but there are usually a couple on eBay which will give you an impression.

I got a towbar fitted by asking the local caravan dealers where the best place was. The same place came up time after time, so I went there - and they were very good. SGM in Cardiff, if that's any good for you.

Liz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts