New to Carvans and have about a million questions!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Tombo46 said:
Cheers Dave. I suppose the type of caravan will make a difference. Probably just going to have to suck it and see. There may be some jiggery pokery I can do with the angle of the van that will work if I'm short a few inches. Where there's a will there's a way!

My cassette is eighteen inches long and I could take it out at less than that,

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
Tombo46 said:
Cheers Dave. I suppose the type of caravan will make a difference. Probably just going to have to suck it and see. There may be some jiggery pokery I can do with the angle of the van that will work if I'm short a few inches. Where there's a will there's a way!

My cassette is eighteen inches long

Now you're just showing off :p

I watched a few videos and it seems able to tilt up in most designs. I'm now 95% sure I have the space to make it work.

It's looking more and more likely that this is happening. I am now putting the plan in to place and while I'm sure there will be plenty of challenges ahead, win or lose it looks like it's happening.

If it all goes t**s up then as least I could serve as an example to others :lol:

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
My budget is looking a bit more like £5k now too as I've managed to wangle a bit of extra funds. That extra £1k seems to make a big difference in the quality of caravan too.

I like the look of a lot of the Bailey Senator fixed bed models. Are these decent, well built 'vans?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tombo,

I suggest that you use the forum search engine to look up threads about caravan quality. The one thing you will see is that poor quality issues are rife across the industry. This makes it impossible to categorically say that any model or make is noticeably better than any other.

There are some caravans that do seem to be fault free, so it shows that the designs have the capacity to be ok, but whilst one may be great, the next one of the production line can be an absolute lemon. Its the total lack of consistency which makes it impossible to recommend any make over another for new caravans.

However caravans that have been pre-owned will often have had many of the manufacturing mistakes remedied by their first owners.

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Tombo,

I suggest that you use the forum search engine to look up threads about caravan quality. The one thing you will see is that poor quality issues are rife across the industry. This makes it impossible to categorically say that any model or make is noticeably better than any other.

There are some caravans that do seem to be fault free, so it shows that the designs have the capacity to be ok, but whilst one may be great, the next one of the production line can be an absolute lemon. Its the total lack of consistency which makes it impossible to recommend any make over another for new caravans.

However caravans that have been pre-owned will often have had many of the manufacturing mistakes remedied by their first owners.

Aye there doesn't seem to be any consistency when it comes to good/bad caravans. It seems to be luck of the draw but as you say, a pre-owned caravan will be telling straight away.

There is someone who services caravans near me. If I find a caravan I like and all looks good I may see if they would be willing to come with me to give it an expert eye for a fee. Considering I'm going to be living in this and my lack of knowledge I think this could be a good idea and worth the added cost for peace of mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tombo,

That is the best way to do it, Certainly any of the approved mobile caravan service engineers should be able to provide that service. Its due diligence on your part, and no genuine seller should object.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Bailey is a decent caravan. Baileys tend to be about average for quality, but with any make the caravan needs to be checked over thoroughly and either tested for damp or have a recent damp survey results available. If that is what suits you best then a good clean model should be good buy.

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I went back to the site today to have a measure up and work out a few details. It's pretty much perfect really. It could do with a bit of levelling in places but nothing drastic. Once the weeds have been dug out and it's been tidied up I think it will be great. I have exactly 18ft width to work with too so I could potentially fit a full depth awning in at a squeeze.

The ground is a lot more level on the left hand side which would mean putting the caravan on less level ground. It would be less work to make sure the caravan was completely level than making the whole ground for the awning level so I may plonk the caravan in "backwards". How easy would the average 4 berth be to move once unhitched? Could 2 or three people manage to push it in to place? I towed a large trailer while I had my business and we used to move that about all the time but I can't quite remember the weight of it haha. I'm also liking the idea of the hitch facing the opposite direction as it would make it a lot, lot harder to just hitch it up and steal it (especially if some nice big hay bales were blocking the exit). It's extremely secure with some thick electric gates but I get a bit paranoid at times haha. The site is pretty much perfect though really. I have an electrical socket 2ft from where the 'van will be and also a water supply just as close. I need to figure out waste but other than that I think I'm good to go.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I've found a caravan that seems a bit too good to be true price wise however it may just be seasonality. I'm hoping to view it soon as it's a bit older than I wanted but the price is very appealing. All due diligence will be made though of course.

One last question too. Are damp problems less likely to occur once the caravan is static and lived in? It hopefully won't be moved for a very long so no flexing of the chassis etc and once it's in place it will have heating on throughout winter. I always remember a house across from where I used to live. The owner won the lottery (a big 'un too, over £10m) and couldn't be bothered with the bungalow he owned. It was built at the same time as ours yet because it hadn't been lived in the whole thing was ruined inside and was eventually knocked down.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Regarding maneuverability and people pushing a caravan into place where you want it , it depends on what if weighs as we had a 6 berth Bailey's but it was lightweight at just under 13oo'kg and me and the wife pushed it into place but with the one we have now , no chance ! But if there's a few people that help you I wouldn't thought it would be a problem .
Hope you get what you need and get sorted .
Good luck.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Damp is caused by water getting in at a joint so living in it will not stop this if the joint is faulty. There is a school of thought that flexing when moving can cause the joints to open but those left in situ can also get damp. If it is not being used open cupboard doors and lift cushions to encourage good ventilation and I would leave the blinds and curtains open to let the sun heat up the interior a bit.
The important point though is to make sure you have a thorough damp test before buying and if it is clear then the caravan is sound certainly for a good period.

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
I went to a dealers today and had a sit in a 2011 Bailey Pageant (I think) with a fixed bed. I can't put my finger on why but I really, really liked it. It felt really cosy and I think once I make my caravan my own it will become a nice little home. I'm quite looking forward to it now, even if it does present a few challenges.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tombo,

Touring with a caravan certainly does put quite a lot of stress on panels and joints and that certainly could be a contributory cause for water ingress problems. However it principally down to how well the caravan was put together, and as most caravan sealant is installed by hand, it has lots of opportunities to have been poorly installed or even missed in places.

By using a fully qualified mobile engineer to do a full inspection before (even if the caravan is at a dealers) you buy should highlight any suspect areas.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Three or four people would be able to move the caravan ok.
One of the main places to check for damp / water ingress is along the interior wall / ceiling joint on the awning rail side of the caravan. Awnings constantly flex in the wind or when they get wet and this puts some considerable strain on the joint where the awning is attached to the caravan.
Another thing to look for is cracked end panels, I'm not trying to put you off but it's best to know exactly what to look for as a buyer.
The overall condition of a used caravan is much more important than it's age, a well looked after bone dry caravan has to be worth a hundred times more than a flashy late model gin palace on wheels which hasn't been looked after and turns out to be a damp infested money pit. Before you buy have a really good look at what you're paying for, don't be frightened to lift cushions, to look behind curtains at the window surrounds. Gently ease the window rubbers back with a fingernail to look for black mould or moisture.
Take a torch to check underneath the sink cupboard for leaking pies and do the same in the bathroom. Check that all gas and electrical appliances work correctly (or as you mentioned, get an engineer to do it for you).
If everything checks out ok and especially if you're buying from a dealership try hard to negotiate a good price, sales staff often have a bit of wriggle room to make the sale so exploit it to the full.
No matter how sparkling and comfortable a prospective purchase first appears to be, don't get caught up in the excitement of the moment, concentrate on the negatives to the sales staff rather than doing their job for them.
Make them work for that sale! ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tombo46 said:
I went to a dealers today and had a sit in a 2011 Bailey Pageant (I think) with a fixed bed. I can't put my finger on why but I really, really liked it. It felt really cosy and I think once I make my caravan my own it will become a nice little home. I'm quite looking forward to it now, even if it does present a few challenges.

We had a Series 5 Pageant Bordeaux and friends had Senator and both were nice comfortable caravans. Later models had shorter lounge seats which made having an afternoon nap not comfortable if you are 6 ft 4 inches like I am.!!

If you should suffer cracked panel work there are excellent adhesive tapes out there that will seal it virtually for life. May not look good but they do work. Eternabond/Rooflock being examples.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts