New to going abroad

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Any advice for a first time tourer to France? locations that include things for the kids. Sites with enough power to run AC etc

Thanks

G

A lot of sites only seem to offer low number of amps. 5amps or even less is quite common and on large and small sites you may struggle to get that, some premium sites such as the Castel sites offer 10amps or so. But that could be debatable with full summer bookings.

We have a big solar panel so can rely on battery lights if running air con to ofset power demand and we run water heating on gas and fridge at times for same reason.

I also run two pc fans to feed and clear hot air from the back of the fridge. Even the new fridges struggle at times on a hot sunny French or Spanish pitch when the vans closed up for the day.

If you do not have Camping gaz and run on calor make sure you have enough for your stay especially if you need to use gas for fridge or water heating.

Sites are up to you, plenty have spectacular pools and kids club ativities it depends where you want to go, but remember the driving will be easy!

Decide what you and your kids are looking for and give their ages and surely someone here can give you a few clues.

Remember polarity tester and spend a while reading through the back pages here.

Take something to fight the bugs just in case and make sure the kids have plenty of sun block. Nice French hot west coast or med over cast days and a sun burnt or bug bitten child can make for caravan friction.

Do remember that there are shops and supermarkets in France so you don't need to take every last bit and bob from home.

If your kids drink fruit squash drinks though you may want to take their favourites. French tastes differ and my kids and now my grandchildren hate most French fruit drinks.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
A lot of sites only seem to offer low number of amps. 5amps or even less is quite common and on large and small sites you may struggle to get that, some premium sites such as the Castel sites offer 10amps or so. But that could be debatable with full summer bookings.

We have a big solar panel so can rely on battery lights if running air con to ofset power demand and we run water heating on gas and fridge at times for same reason.

I also run two pc fans to feed and clear hot air from the back of the fridge. Even the new fridges struggle at times on a hot sunny French or Spanish pitch when the vans closed up for the day.

If you do not have Camping gaz and run on calor make sure you have enough for your stay especially if you need to use gas for fridge or water heating.

Sites are up to you, plenty have spectacular pools and kids club ativities it depends where you want to go, but remember the driving will be easy!

Decide what you and your kids are looking for and give their ages and surely someone here can give you a few clues.

Take something to fight the bugs just in case and make sure the kids have plenty of sun block. Nice French hot west coast or med over cast days and a sun burnt or bug bitten child can make for caravan friction.

Do remember that there are shops and supermarkets in France so you don't need to take every last bit and bob from home.

If your kids drink fruit squash drinks though you may want to take their favourites. French tastes differ and my kids and now my grandchildren hate most French fruit drinks.
God Euro, I AGREE with everything you say.

Educating you on this site has been worthwhile

Val & Frank

G

I'm not all mean Frank.

It's hard to advise others as we all want different things, but keeping you, swmbo and kids fit and comfortable is a good move especially when it's hot. Silly things are easy to miss. After 30 odd years of European camp sites comfort comes first in my book.

G

Agree with the comments on voltage and if you have a compressor AC then your neighbours may not be too appreciative. In July this year the average temp in the south of France was 36 degrees with highs of 42 degrees, so your fridge will struggle. That is why most European campers take either their own compressor fridge, or hire from the site.

If you have kids then it may be best to take the 'plunge' and use a large commercial site with all the facilties. The Yelloh Group offer about everything you could wish for, except possibly peace and quiet, but then again kids don't want that do they?

G

If you go to the big commercial sites a set of walkie talkie radios is quite handy for tracking the kids down or them you :)

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Thanks all

The AC is compressor but its a new design that runs with almost no noise (new Blizzard ones). We do use PMR radios a lot on site to give the kids some freedom. I am more concerned about the amps. The AC needs 8 to run and 10 to start so will look out for sites that can do this.

I am use to driving abroad and we used to holiday in Florida every year so we have a set routine for sunblock etc.

Now, whats the best way to book? direct and your own ferry etc, or use the CC to sort it all out?

Thanks again for the pointers

Steve

G

Steve, we never stay to long in one place these days.

The CC ferry prices can be hard to beat, we've found sites that are cheaper booking direct and others that due to discount operators get you are better booking through the travel services.

Find where you want to go and then look at the sites prices and check with CC or who ever. We meet friends and family near Royan in the summer, we never book until a day or two before we go and always get in and pay less than with agents and do not get put in the agents gheto. We've had that back many years ago returning to a Euro Camp Independant site only to find that Key Camp had done a deal with the site and ECI had lost out position wise to them. We were in with the EC tents furthest from the showers and toilet blocks and a whole load of younger families with babies and toddlers grizzling away.

Even if you check that the site has 8 - 10 amps available in summer don't expect to get that. With even the best large sites that add more statics each year and with domestic fridges on hire or pulled from the back of French cars and a dozen or more tails out of the connection box be warned you are likely to struggle to get what you want. Many sites have places for 500 or more caravans, tents and statics and big pools to run along with bars and cafes etc if you want to entertainments for your kids. When its busy that lot consumes a lot of power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts