New to seasonal caravanning

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have a seasonal pitch and love it.
If it is fully serviced get a tap splitter so you can have use of the tap while still connected to a hose to aqua roll or pump inlet.
Take your time getting the van level on the first arrival because you won’t want to mess with it often after this.
Leave handbrake off and chock the van, so handbrake doesn’t stick.
Do try to move wheels occasionally as seasonal pitches are not kind to tyres.
Remember that you will just accumulate stuff in the van so have a periodic clear out.
Enjoy the feeling of just turning up when you want, and not having to leave by 11:00 on Sunday.
Mel

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Fab thanks for the info! Tyre wise, is it just a case of moving a few inches every few weeks or do the wheels need a good rotate? I can easily motor move the caravan a few inches monthly easily. I don’t plan to use a full time awning, just put my porch awning up as and when I want it, so moving the van wouldn’t be an issue to prolong the tyre life

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You are trying to reduce flat spots. We probably don’t move them often enough :blush: but when we do try to get the bottom bit of the tyre at least up the side. Not sure how scientific this is. Someone’s bound to tell me we are getting it wrong. :cheer:
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Being a boring "tourer" if on a seasonal pitch, dependant on time, why not remove the road wheels/tyres and fit winter plates , or do the regs , require you to still be able to move the caravan. ?

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I don’t really want the expense/hassle of removing the wheels, and then having to find somewhere to store them. If simply moving the van once a month quarter of a wheel turn will be enough, I’d be happy with that. When we visited the site yesterday, everyone seemed to still have their tyres on

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you keep the tyres at their correct pressure there is no need to worry about moving the van at all.
The thing about "Flat Spots" on caravan tyres is from an age ago when crossply tyres were available, unlike today where you can not get crossply tyres for normal use, unless you have a rather large HGV.

Radial ply tyres do not suffer from flat spots, as soon as you move the wheel any tendancy for a flat spot is immediately removed as the tyre adopts it normal profile of round.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Mel said:
We have a seasonal pitch and love it.
If it is fully serviced get a tap splitter so you can have use of the tap while still connected to a hose to aqua roll or pump inlet.
Take your time getting the van level on the first arrival because you won’t want to mess with it often after this.
Leave handbrake off and chock the van, so handbrake doesn’t stick.
Do try to move wheels occasionally as seasonal pitches are not kind to tyres.
Remember that you will just accumulate stuff in the van so have a periodic clear out.
Enjoy the feeling of just turning up when you want, and not having to leave by 11:00 on Sunday.
Mel

One thing I read recently: if you get a tap doubler DON'T get one made of yellow plastic. It is alleged that there are carcinogens in the yellow colouring which can get absorbed into water. My advice is not to get a brass one either as the adapters become detached without human intervention.
There are plenty of grey or green doublers about.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you too Damian. I will also stop worrying about it now. Funny how these old ideas hang around.
Mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I can't agree with some of the statements given in this topic regarding the care of caravan tyres.

Since at least two posters have accepted those statements to be correct, then I will post this technical bulletin from Continental Tyres who are a well established tyre manufacturer who should know the facts.

Click Here

Note the last sentence........it shows that flat spotting due to prolonged storage can be serious requiring the replacement of the tyre.

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Gafferbill. This blows the radial tyres not getting flat spots out the water then? The only thing i would question is, this probably relates to car tyres and maybe not tyres designed for higher loads such as trailer tyres?

I think my plan of action will be using the relatively cheap wheel blocks that have been posted on this thread, checking the tyres pressures regularly (I will probably inflate the tyres to the maximum pressure stated on the tyre, rather than the recommended pressure in the caravan handbook if that is higher), and do quarter of a wheel turn with my mover monthly.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
.......that sounds a good plan of action.
Tyres are prone to punish you if you neglect them!

True i think We will just keep touring every month all year round, come on the snow, we can cuddle up at night in our "Onsies". With a hot Chocolate and Calvados.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know a few friend that do "seasonal caravanning" but how many folk do all year round Seasonal Caravanning, I can understand, some folks cannot get away, of don't want to travel around, we love to "Tour to different places rather than a specific place . ?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our seasonal pitch is open 1st March to 31st October. Us and or two daughters use it. I will acquaint you with our “year round cunning plan” when we are neighbours at Woodthorpe ;)
Mel

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I know a few friend that do "seasonal caravanning" but how many folk do all year round Seasonal Caravanning, I can understand, some folks cannot get away, of don't want to travel around, we love to "Tour to different places rather than a specific place . ?

Just because you are on a seasonal pitch it doesn't mean you can't tour too.
Site owners don't chain caravans to the spot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts