New to this.. be nice! Fridge wires have been cut and want to put back.

Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
New to this forum and new to the world of Caravaning so learning on my feet!
So the fridge worked on Gas but not on electric so removed the unit to investigate this to find that both the 230v and 12v wires had been cut and removed. No idea why this has been done so I temp wired it up to a 3 pin socket and plugged it in. Left for 24hrs and result, it all works just fine so again at a loss as to why the previous owner cut them.

So, its a 97' Elddis Alfresco - I've tried looking but not been able to find some kind of wiring instructions so I can attempt to e-wire the fridge back into the 230 and 12V options.

Sorry if I have missed any info that you may need to assist me, and thank you for reading.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The fridge 12V is wired only only to 6(+) and 7 of a 12S socket and 10(+) and 11 of a 13pin socket. It must NEVER be wired to the caravan battery as it will pull about 120W or 10A assuming an under worksurface model and flatten the battery in no time.

Reactions: McLosi
Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
The fridge 12V is wired only only to 6(+) and 7 of a 12S socket and 10(+) and 11 of a 13pin socket. It must NEVER be wired to the caravan battery as it will pull about 120W or 10A assuming an under worksurface model and flatten the battery in no time.

Hi thanks.
Sorry I kind of get what your saying, but is there a way to work out what cable is what behind my fuse board? Thats the bit I dont know what is what really.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To be certain you will need to use a continuity checker to identify which (if any) wires go the car plugs. Sometimes you can trace then by following them, but often they're hidden behind features, Colours wires might help but if someone has been cutting things, heaven only knows what else they may have done.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Possibly a previous owner had to replace the fridge at some time and neglected to reconnect the electrics - although you would have thought that having disconnected the old one the new would have been a like-for-like refit. I am not an auto electrician but have just had a look in my van... in the cupboard adjacent the fridge there is a mains cable and 12 volt cable emerging from the floor. The mains connects through a concealed connector block affixed to the sidewall, and the 12v though a DIN plug. The two power systems are entirely separate.
The distribution panel has an RCD for mains and a fuse for 12v labelled fridge.
You might find a wiring diagram for a later model useful - try this link
Unless you are qualified and know exactly what you are doing would be best to use a mobile caravan service to sort for you!

Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
Possibly a previous owner had to replace the fridge at some time and neglected to reconnect the electrics - although you would have thought that having disconnected the old one the new would have been a like-for-like refit. I am not an auto electrician but have just had a look in my van... in the cupboard adjacent the fridge there is a mains cable and 12 volt cable emerging from the floor. The mains connects through a concealed connector block affixed to the sidewall, and the 12v though a DIN plug. The two power systems are entirely separate.
The distribution panel has an RCD for mains and a fuse for 12v labelled fridge.
You might find a wiring diagram for a later model useful - try this link
Unless you are qualified and know exactly what you are doing would be best to use a mobile caravan service to sort for you!
Brill thank you.
I have someone coming to service it but can't for me in for a few weeks so thought if easy would take a look.
Thanks for the info, will have another look tomorrow and see how it looks. Cheers.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Brill thank you.
I have someone coming to service it but can't for me in for a few weeks so thought if easy would take a look.
Thanks for the info, will have another look tomorrow and see how it looks. Cheers.
Hi and welcome
That's a very wise decision as you cannot know what other problems there may be not only with electric /gas but also running gear ect

TRENDING THREADS