new towcar

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
thinking of changing my trusty Fronter LWB 2.5 TDS (tow a TA Sterling Eccles Elite)no problems but bodywork showing its age (just like me).Considering Kia Sorento?, any feedback/opinions/advice very welcome.Automatic or manual?

Heard of trouble with engine noise, "soft" paintwork,leaking window/door seals.

Any help please.

Michael(mickduck)

Jul 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Michael

I have only had my sorento for about 3 months try the net theres a place near manchester that does huge discounts (Kia's). No problems so far touch wood. I changed from V.A.G. Badged cars found them all very rattly but the best of a bad bunch (Cars that is) this my first 4x4, but I made sure it was the right one for me(TOOK 2YEARS!) I'm not saying that others are bad, but I found that unless you spend a hell of a lot more money you wont do any better. Its a great tow car. I went for the auto so easy on motorway jams and through towns. Its the first car i have owned from new thats about 10 in 10 years that has not gone back in the first month for loads stupid niggles to be sorted.

Michael I now I have woffled on but I hope its of some use.

Happy hunting

Dan

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Micheal,

I`ve had my manual 2.5xs Sorento on a 53 plate from new, done 29000 mls, it hasn`t put a foot wrong, I`ve towed to France and up and down this country, I love it, never noticed noisey engine, never had a leak. get on the M/way hit the cruise and sit back in leather luxury, I stop every couple of hours, and unlike saloons I`ve owned, I get out of the sorrie without an ache, the mpg is about 28 solo general runabout and 22 towing, but you can`t have everything. Its a nice car get one i don`t think you`ll regret it.

Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Michael, I bought a Sorento auto three weeks ago after spending a considerable amount of time contemplating what towcar we wanted. Our main requirements were 4 wheel drive as we use the van all year including CL sites, and a kerbweight that would handle any van we may look to buy in the future as we intend to keep the car for a long period.

In recent months I have asked Sorento owners on sites we have been on what they think of the car and apart from the occasional gripe about fuel economy no one had a bad word to say. Ours is eighteen month old with 9k on the clock and even buying from a main dealer was a massive saving on new.

We have now had the van out a couple of times with the car and it ticks all the boxes we require from a towcar. It is the first auto I have had and while towing I tend to use the tiptronic which allows me to keep the revs between 2000/2500 and maximise economy.

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

I have only had my sorento for about 3 months try the net theres a place near manchester that does huge discounts (Kia's). No problems so far touch wood. I changed from V.A.G. Badged cars found them all very rattly but the best of a bad bunch (Cars that is) this my first 4x4, but I made sure it was the right one for me(TOOK 2YEARS!) I'm not saying that others are bad, but I found that unless you spend a hell of a lot more money you wont do any better. Its a great tow car. I went for the auto so easy on motorway jams and through towns. Its the first car i have owned from new thats about 10 in 10 years that has not gone back in the first month for loads stupid niggles to be sorted.

Michael I now I have woffled on but I hope its of some use.

Happy hunting

Dan
Hi Dan

thanks for your reply will take onboard your comments and keep looking around looked at one yesterday at a dealers in leics very impressed (would love to tow my van with one on test).

Also seen reports of new face lift model due out soon so with luck maybe the dealers will drop prices a bit more?.

So i'll keep looking.

Thanks Michael.

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Hello Michael, I bought a Sorento auto three weeks ago after spending a considerable amount of time contemplating what towcar we wanted. Our main requirements were 4 wheel drive as we use the van all year including CL sites, and a kerbweight that would handle any van we may look to buy in the future as we intend to keep the car for a long period.

In recent months I have asked Sorento owners on sites we have been on what they think of the car and apart from the occasional gripe about fuel economy no one had a bad word to say. Ours is eighteen month old with 9k on the clock and even buying from a main dealer was a massive saving on new.

We have now had the van out a couple of times with the car and it ticks all the boxes we require from a towcar. It is the first auto I have had and while towing I tend to use the tiptronic which allows me to keep the revs between 2000/2500 and maximise economy.
Good evening Richards s.

Thanks for your comments i too use the van all year including cl's so like you 4x4 comes in very useful at times.most reports have been positive about the "sorrie".but i had heard about those few niggles i mentioned however from your replies all seem ok.i have always towed with a manual and wondered about auto box (have read about overhaeting, having to fit extra cooling etc). just want to make sure before commiting.

Cheers for the input Richard i'll keep looking and researching.

Michael

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Micheal,

I`ve had my manual 2.5xs Sorento on a 53 plate from new, done 29000 mls, it hasn`t put a foot wrong, I`ve towed to France and up and down this country, I love it, never noticed noisey engine, never had a leak. get on the M/way hit the cruise and sit back in leather luxury, I stop every couple of hours, and unlike saloons I`ve owned, I get out of the sorrie without an ache, the mpg is about 28 solo general runabout and 22 towing, but you can`t have everything. Its a nice car get one i don`t think you`ll regret it.

Tony A.
Hi Tony

cheers for the reply fuel economy doesn't seem too bad and for what the cost of a sorento is you do seem to get a lot for your hard earned pennies.Am visiting a local car show tomorrow i'll have a good look at whats on offer then sit and ponder need to take tape measure to ensure my two japanese akitas fit in the back (with the seats down) ok.

Again thanks for the info.

Michael.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts