Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
Just bought a Hyundia Tucson limited ( man,138 bhp)Towing a Amara 452 77% towing match so well within the towing limit.First trip will be in two weeks up to york for a few days.First 4x4 I,ve owned so asking the basic questions what are they like , any thing to watch out for .Still got three years warrenty left .Any help or advice would be great .Thanks Wayne.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Whilst I've not got first hand experience of them I can say that when my company owned the Importers we had a staff deal on buying Hyundais. (We could get a new car every 6 months on a lease scheme)

Our car park was full of Tuscons once word got around how good they were and many people decided to buy one outright after the lease scheme ended.

Dont believe the fuel consumption it varies wildly. Apparently its something to do with the gearbox , although the engine was the same as the first Santa Fe (which has rave reviews on mpg) the gear box fitted to the Tucson is different. I cant remember why and the Techical guys no longer work for us so I cant ask.

But its a good car and dirt cheap to buy now.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Wayne,

I assume you meant what are 4x4's like generally as well as wanting to know about the Tuscon as a specific car,Yes?

Having owned several over the years, call them offroaders then it doesn't get peoples backs up, I can give you the benifit of my experience.

Firstly, the latest generation cars are a world away from the old style "chassis" type which in the main were agricultural in ride, handling and comfort levels.

Drive the latest from Mitsi, Toyota, LR or Korea and they are a world away from the original RangeRover or Landcruiser.

The suspension, engine and cabin design is very akin to a regular car and they are almost as sharp to drive.

The upside is they make superb towcars because of better traction and proportionally larger kerbweights and also throw in their enhanced viewpoint due to increased height on the road. They will cope with our attrocious roads better as well as being the kings of muddy tracks and grassy field caravan sites. They can be used to tow horseboxes to country meets and drag industrial size trailers if need be, muddy dogs love them and need not destroy the upholstery. Because they are built to take the rough stuff they are are a more durable product which will outlast their car counterparts in normal use.

The downside is of course higher fuel and service costs which is inescapable due to being heavier and more complex than a conventional vehicle.

By now you will detect that I am a fan but the final word - I was going to put my old Shogun on SORN this winter as it doesn't get much use and my credit is crunching with the best of them but then we had the unseasonal blizzard and that made me stop and think. What if we have floods or deep snow and I need to get out or my nieghbours need an emergancy ride. Shogun or Nissan Micra? It's a no brainer, so the Shogun stays taxed.

Best rgds

Wicksy

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Wayne

I went to Majorca last year and booked a Vauxhall Corsa as a hire car. When I arrived they had none left so gave us a Tucson. :) Fantastic car for the money and in fact my wife wants one as her next car (or a Kia Sportage which is the same car).

Not all Tucson models are actually 4x4's. I think you may find that the 138 bhp version is only 2 wheel drive. Although it looks like a 4x4 don't go getting adventurous trying to go off road with it as you may get stuck and need a VW Golf 4motion to pull you out. (a fiat panda 'quattro' wouldn't make it :) )

I know many people swear by 4x4's but I don't know whether this is the all-wheel-drive characteristics or the vehicle characteristics (length, weight, height) that make it a favourable towcar.

I personally don't like the term '4x4' to describe a vehicle as it is really only describing a technical aspect of the drivetrain.

Good luck

Ian

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
My van only weighs 700kgs but I have been stuck 3 times this year in my fwd zafira (always at camp sites - never with the van attached tho). Might have second child on way so next van will inevitably be bigger and much heavier. Will definetely opt for four wheel drive next time both for better traction and kerbweight. Sod the fuel consumption - get a diesel.

Also must say that during last years floods in Hull my wife was 4 days overdue giving birth and the only way to the maternity hospital was by driving throught roads that were under at least 3 feet of water and I slept much better knowing that my next door but one neighbours had a 4x4 to get us there.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Got our Tucson late '06 and it's brilliant. Haven't towed with it yet (pick up our Baily Pageant Bretagne in the new year)but even as a general purpose car it is very good, although you could probably say the same for most cars on the road today.

Haven't used the 4wd in anger yet, bought it because I go fishing so might need to negotiate a track or get up a high kerb one day, and once you've had something a bit higher up you don't really want to go back to climbing down into the car again!

Hyundai appear to be one of motorings best kept secrets - I too have the Limited (diesel), Dec 06

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info ,and yes it is 4wd and like yours Martin came with all the goodies.56 plate 9600 mls on clock went to the dealers with a blank cheque got the deal not far of trade price.tow bar to go on and of next week-end to York. So again thanks for the info .Wayne

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
Strange Dave w I have a 1980 Range Rover on coils all round and would you believe it disk brakes all round aswell, oh and a self leveler on the suspension, so your answer wasn't quite correct.

Andrew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts