new Van - How old should the tyres be?

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
When I pick up my new van in March, how new would it be reasonable to expect the tyres to be. For instance some of the 2014 vans on display at the caravan show had tyres that were dated 2012. Could I be said to be reasonable if I asked for tyres to be less than 6 months old at date of purchase?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whilst it's very poor that some 2014 caravans have 2012 tyres on, 2 years from date of manufacture to date of sale to retail customer seems to be accepted by the industry - but that takes into account that some 2014 model year caravans won't be sold until 2015, possibly as late as 2016 by which time these tyres will be 4 years old!
If you've ordered a van as factory-built, ie not from dealers' stock then make it a condition of sale that the tyres fitted are no more than 6 months old.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are perfectly entitled to ask for young tyres. as a customer you can ask for almost anything, but it is important that any variation from the standard supplied product needs to be recorded in the contract of sale along with any cost implications.
The dealer would be entitled to charge you to change the tyres as strictly the tyres supplied with the caravan may not be as young as you would like, but they should be servicable.
You should make it an explicit term of your contract that you will reject the caravan if the tyres are more than 6 month old.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
You are perfectly entitled to ask for young tyres. as a customer you can ask for almost anything, but it is important that any variation from the standard supplied product needs to be recorded in the contract of sale along with any cost implications.
The dealer would be entitled to charge you to change the tyres as strictly the tyres supplied with the caravan may not be as young as you would like, but they should be servicable.
You should make it an explicit term of your contract that you will reject the caravan if the tyres are more than 6 month old.

I agree entirely with you as basically you lose at least 2 years off the "life" of the tyre. This does not happen in the auto industry so why should it happen in the caravan industry. If every one started rejecting tyres on hand over of a new caravan, the manufacturers have to carry the cost and not the dealer and thsi may wake them up. It is strange that this aspect is never mentioned in caravan magazines or the magazines put out by the clubs whenthey do reviews of caravans

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice. I spoke to the dealer at the show about it - I had already ordered the van. He assured me that the tyres would be newer than those on the display vans at the show. Also took the Vin No of the van on show so that I know I will not have a van that half the world has been in. Pick up the new van 1st March.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts