New van, Never again lol.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all the excitement is building, we are picking up our new Sterling Eccles Trekker t/a in the morning.

However i'm now exhausted, with trading in our current t/a I have spent the entire morning emptying it of all its contents.

Im amazed at as a family just how much stuff we seam to of accumulated (please this is not a weight issue)

every locker and cupboard seams to have some sort of kitchen equipment, bedding, clothes, wash & cleaning products, plus the draw which is full of things picked up or kept Just In Case!! and thats before I get to the kids toys.

Ive now got a garage half full, with the dreaded thought ive got to spend another half a day repacking it all!!

I think now is a great time for some carefull edditing whilst the better half and the kids are out of sight lol.

Must keep a copy of this as a reminder, the next time I goto a caravan show Dont buy a new van. LOL

Cheers
John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's surprising how much stuff we accumulate in our caravans John so whatever you do you must avoid the temptation to buy a new lot of stuff for the new caravan to replace the stuff that gets left in the garage or shed.
smiley-undecided.gif

Congratulations on your new caravan and I hope that you enjoy the handover and trying it out for the first time
smiley-laughing.gif

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi John
Many caravanners have had the same 'shock' when emptying their caravans.
smiley-surprised.gif
It's amazing just how much that can accumulate. We don't caravan over winter and usually empty quite a lot of stuff after our last trip (usually at end of Oct), before laying the van up until we start again in March. The van is always serviced before we start caravanning again, when everything comes out. Once that's done, we spring-clean it and put back only what we need, after a good sort out.
Good Luck with picking your new caravan up and we wish you many happy times away in it.
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Been there in the past. Carried loads of junk that our kids never used or 'handy' stuff that rarely saw the outside of the cupboards
smiley-frown.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
About 6 months ago we went to weigh bridge to discover that we exceeded the MTPLM. We were able to remove approximately 40kgs of extra stuff which was mainly bits and bobs, but they filled up the rear of the estate! Although almost on the MTPLM, nothing more we can really remove to reduce weight to be well within MTPLM. Unfortunately when payload is only 160kg and you have a motor mover fitted and take into account the weight of the battery, payload is reduced to well under 100kgs. We have a 2" mattress topper so payload reduced by another 10kgs. So less than 80kgs to add duvet, pillows, bedding, pots & pans, cultery etc.
smiley-frown.gif

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Your posting gave me a good laugh John. I'm suRe most of us can relate to this at some stage. My garage still has some old stuff in it from the last van change as well as the last car change.
Enjoy your first outing in the new van.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well the deed is done, new van towed back, and the whole of sunday, & monday night spent sorting packing then unpacking moving and re packing.
Finally think ive cracked it, but still got 2 packing boxes & a box of kids toys over, my thought go away for the first week holiday and if nobody misses anything then they can stay in the garage lol
Time for a well earned drink I think.
Cheers all

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi John,
Just done exactly the same.We traded our Sterling Europa 550 in for a Bailey Unicorn last week.We had to take Europa in a week early for a motormover swap.We had to take everything out and stored it in the house.Our study/computer room was like one of those rooms you see on T.V from those compulsive hoarders!.We had a path from the door to the computer with a wall of caravan stuff either side. We had a clear out ,kids done come with us much now so all bats,balls,buckets and spades gone.
Problem is we started to load new van up then found we had a fault on the Alde Heating .I have had to take the caravn back to dealers yesterday and can't pick it up until next Saturday ,so we still left with half the stuff still in the study. Can't wait to get Caravan back so we can get loaded up and have our "Maiden Voyage" but the rate we are going it will be Easter!

Happy Caravanning
Kieran

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi John

Unfortunately the text of your post has failed to load to the message board.

It's highly likely that the reason for this will be your choice of web browser. Contrary to popular belief most versions of Internet Explorer use older incomplete codes which do not automatically update and which do not comply with present day internet technology. Microsoft recognise the problem and have come up with a way to resolve this issue, Click Here for instructions on how to activate the Internet Explorer compatibility mode. Alternatively you might like to choose a more up to date web browser such as Mozilla Firefox.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts