New Zealand Motorhome or caravan tours

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is there an age limit on hiring motorhomes or cars in NZ. One of the clubs offer motorhome tours in NZ plus other organisations. My sons partners parents used Trailfinders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is there an age limit on hiring motorhomes or cars in NZ. One of the clubs offer motorhome tours in NZ plus other organisations. My sons partners parents used Trailfinders.

Clive , If I am too old now, there is no hope for any of us😂

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
With family in NZ, we've been going there most years. During that time we've taken the opportunity to travel all around the country, both North and South Island.

While it appeals to some folks to rent a motorhome we've never thought that to be a good option, neither in terms of cost nor flexibility of where to go. Instead we rent a car and travel around using motels or B&Bs. These are freely available and often don't need booking in advance

We had a motorhome here in the UK and while we enjoyed it very much, there was always the restriction of where you could go and the fact that you'd always have to take it with you. We planned much around using public transport when possible but that option in NZ isn't that easy once outside the cities.

There are places we've been where you would not want to take a motorhome, even if you could.

Also consider the flight. Over 24hours in the air and a lot of time hanging around. That amount of time in the air in Economy Class as you get older wouldn't be much fun. Fortunately we've been able to sit up near the driver which is a whole new level of comfort. Regrettably I think those days are over for us as flight costs rose 50% between our last two visits.

It's a great place to tour around though and we've even been away in our daughter's caravan. Sites are very much different from the UK

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
Dustydog,
We did the Caravan Club tour in Feb 2017 from Auckland to Christchurch. The motorhomes and logistics were dealt with by a company called Anzcro who have a UK branch. A couple of years later I gave the itinerary to a work colleague who used it as a basis to plan, via Anzcro, a (car-based) trip using many of the same stops - which have camping and chalets - over a similar route.
We had ‘pencilled-in’ a North Island trip for 2021 and have yet to put it back in the schedule!
Regards
Mick

Last edited:

JDP

Nov 2, 2020
Visit site
Our friends recently completed the NZ tour on both the north and south islands which was all booked via the C & MH club.
its all they talk about to be honest and are even thinking of doing it again. from what I understand is they were in a MH and they start from one place and told to be at another for the overnight stay and could travel by which ever route they wished. they were given maps and places of interest to visit if they wished along the routes.
the whole tour was for about 6 weeks, expensive but the scenery was breathtaking in their view.
not for me I’m afraid as I prefer a good old caravan any day and prefer to explore by ourselves rather than being told where to go, each to their own thou.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the price that a certain club charges, you could instead fly to NZ as a couple, do north and south island using a rented car and motels and still have a large chunk of that money left over. Bonus is to can stop and stay wherever suits you for as long or short as takes your fancy! :LOL:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For the price that a certain club charges, you could instead fly to NZ as a couple, do north and south island using a rented car and motels and still have a large chunk of that money left over. Bonus is to can stop and stay wherever suits you for as long or short as takes your fancy! :LOL:
How do CMHC motorhome tours compare in price to other U.K based ATOL/ABTA providers of a package, or a self arranged trip using MH or self drive plus motels?

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
For caravan hire try https://nz4u2u.com/ they can also arrange rental car. There are limits on where you can tow especially gravel roads. In most cases this isn't issue as you be better using car to visit anything at end of gravel road. Lot rental cars have restrictions on gravel roads so need to check that out. Motorhome rentals will also have similar restrictions. Best tow with AWD you may need it on occasion especially park campsites in wet.

Motorhomes are better for continous touring as self contained for 2-4 days, just park up for night and settle in. Caravan will need to source water and house battery needs topping up if off grid for couple days. Which will be case for national and regional parks which are nicer camping sites locations, prices vary from $20-$40. Cheaper if you buy DOC concession pass. Water normally available but may need boiling before drinking.

Campgrounds with facilities and powersites $40-$70. Most around $50-60. With caravan best to park up for 2-3 nights and explore with car.

This family youtube channel is worth a watch. They are on road for a year maybe more.
View: https://youtu.be/uA00lh9kLDM?si=8Mw8HT2cRQ1ooLc6

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We toured New Zealand independently some years ago, renting a motor home and stopping off wherever and whenever we wanted to at campsites without making any reservations, not even for the ferry between the two islands. We stayed at New Zealand Department of Conservation campsites a few times. They are set in national parks amidst some wonderful scenery and can be recommended if you like the peace and quiet. The whole trip was a doddle really to organise and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
I can't help much further, however, because the rental firm has since ceased to exist.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I can understand why some folks prefer organised tours. If your a stranger in a strange land it takes away some of the anxiety. However, for us the planning and organising are as much of the fun as the actual trip.

We prefer to make the choices and the spontaneity it offers. Being able to make last minute changes and take last minute deviations.....which sometimes don't work.

We use a car rental company called Apex in both NZ and OZ. Not exactly Rent a Dent but older models in good condition and much cheaper than the 'Named' companies, or at least they used to be.

There are some good reasonably priced Motel chains for which you'll get the same experience wherever you stay. But we've also used a few independents with mixed results. Nothing bad but some, like a lot of NZ are stuck in the 1960s.

And some very good B&Bs through the likes of Airbnb.

I'm sure a DIY approach like we do is a much cheaper option than Motorhome rental and would provide a better experience.

But as someone here likes to say 'to each his own'
Just a final note... not all campsites offer chemical toilet disposal. On some we've stayed it's a 20 minute trip by car to the nearest dump station. Not my problem as it's my daughters caravan 😉

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Download app CamperMate yellow icon with 4wd in it. Its the goto app for motorhoming or caravaning around NZ. Has about 90% of campgrounds and sites in it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
DD, we have done NZ twice, SIL over there, but we only stayed with her for a few nights, hired a vehicle both times and like Sam stayed mostly motels and some camp sites, no plans as such just decide where you want to head the next day and check out motels & camp sites on maps, word of caution though you can check the accommodation before deciding, so if it wasn't up to scratch just moved on. On the plus side the motels where much more to our liking, one near Rotorua we had a complete house with underground parking, stayed 2 nights!!!
First time top half of North Island up to Cape Reianga and second time the bottom half down to Wellington.
Nephew moved to South Island, yet to venture to that one.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....went independently for 6 weeks. Flights and hire car pick up at Auckland airport and hotel for first 4 nights, all booked in the UK.
Picked up NZ sim card at airport kiosk very easy to do.
Joined Top ten chain of holiday parks for discounted accommodation to be found at all over NZ.
Membership gets you other discounts such as the inter Island ferry.
Go as you please type holiday way cheaper than any organised tour.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts