New Zealand

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
We are thinking of going to New Zealand next year, when we both retire and before the price of fuel puts long haul flights out of the question. We intend to hire a Motorhome and tour both The North and South Island. Any recommendations about hiring a motorhome or sites or places to visit would be welcomed. Many thanks.

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Helen,

We have been to New Zealand twice. First time we went for a month and did as much as we could of both North and South Islands. Second time, again for a month we did only the bits we missed on the North Island first time around.

NZ is a great place with terrific weather (we went in January). Some people dont like it so i suppose it depends what you are looking for.

The Coromandel is a great place also Hawkes bay where you can easily spend a day in a vineyard - look out for Cape Kidnappers Merlot.

In the South, the Franz Josef Glacier is a fanatastic experience with either guided walks or helicopter flights.

Just a few places to whet your appetite. How long will you be there.

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Swift2008

Thanks for your reply. The Coromandel sounds good for us as does the vineyard.We are hoping to go in Nov2009 for the month and spend about two weeks on each island. I have had a look at some guide books and I think my problem is going to be which places to miss out as there seems to be so much to do. any info you can supply will be great. Thanks

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Helen,

Yes that will be your problem. You will also spend a lot of time driving.

Places we have been and liked are:

North:

Aukland - dont miss Parnell

Coromandel - try a mussel fritter - Cathedral Cove is worth the effort

Bay of Plenty - hot pools at Mount Monganoui are good after a hard days sight seeing

Taupo try the mountains - Ruapehu Tongariro & Huka Falls - buy a bucket of prawns at the prawn farm

Napier -

Hawkes Bay - loads of Vineyards and a gannet colony

Rotorua - smells a bit but worth a visit.

Wellington - where you get the ferry to the South Island. Car hire firms make you change car - worth checking situation with motorhome!!

South:

Picton

Nelson

Marlborough - Abel Tasman National park

Kaikoura - Whale watching

Cristchurch - punt on the river

Franz Josef (over Arthurs Pass)

We didn't get any further South

Both our visits we used Motels which were of a 5 star standard studio types and very reasonably priced at about 90NZ$ per night (2004).

Hope this helps. Anything else we can help you with ?

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
We love motorhoming in NZ. Agree that the Coromandel and Hawkes Bay are tops. Don't miss the park in the centre of Rotorua to see the volvanic activity for free. If you can rent from a company that allows travel on the metal (that's like chippings) as opposed to gravel roads, then the Department of Conservation (DOC) sites are very good for peace and quiet

Maui are the most popular people to rent from. Kea have higher specs and prices. This is a useful website; http://www.nzmca.org.nz/

Finally, unless you have already made your reservation, i would suggest that the weather will be much better in Jan or Feb. Remember though that the NZ schools are on their hols until the end of Jan.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Swift 2008 and Cynthia (and anyone else who can help),

I am also looking at a possible trip to NZ. Just doing some high level planning, eg. whether to hire a camper van or car + hotels. Camper vans seem to be popular from what I've heard, so I presume there are plenty of camp sites. Advice confirming this (or otherwise) would be most welcome; also what sort of standard are they, and how much do they cost? Similar info about hotels would also be appreciated. Info on fuel costs would also be useful, but I am sure this will have been spiralling recently like everywhere else.

Thanks in advance

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts