New Zealand

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tried posting this in the overseas section first but without success. Has anybody any experience of motor caravaning in New Zealand? We are thinking of trying it when we visit there in february and would be interested in any comments especially regarding site availability and facilities. Also, I have heard that "free" camping is allowed, is this correct and what are the restrictions. Thanks, Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim from New Zealand.

You will love the motor home holiday in NZ especially the South Island which is where you should aim to spend most of your time (but I am slightly biased since I live in the South!)

Anyhow there is a "New Zealand Motor caravan Association (INC)" which has a website wwwnzmca.org.nz

You should find that quite helpful and the website password for this month is "4oursite" should you wish to look around within the site. I am a member and there are about 15,000 members nationwide (Don't forget the total Popn is only 4 million).

It's quite an active association and may be affiliated with the UK associations though I am unsure. Freedom camping is approved in some areas and I am sure the rental Co's will be able to advise you. I know the handbook for the nzmca has listings of sites as well.

The Motorcamps aren't too expensive in any event and particularly cater for the tourist in the rental motorhome. The "Top Ten" franchise has camps over most of the country which set a reasonable standard. We have stayed at Top Ten Taupo (Nth Island - excellent facilities) and Top Ten Pohara (Golden Bay Sth Island which is a must go to for your itinerary - on a beach)

Hope that helps with your planning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim I have posted a few ideas in an answer for you under the previous response. You should see it if you open it.

regards

John Lee

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John, thanks for your reply, its certainly comprehensive and very interesting. I spoke to my wifes sister in Wanganui at the weekend and read it to her over the phone. She lived in Nelson when she first went to New Zealand 30 years ago and knew many of the places you mention. She moved to Wanganui when she met, and married, a Maori and has lived in the North Island since then (my wife also has various cousins and aunts, who we dont plan to visit, in the south island in Christchurch, Ashburton and Greymouth). You say we will be visiting during the high season but after the school holidays (we plan to travel to the south island on 15th feb), does this mean we should book the campsites in advance or will it be ok to just turn up? Obviously one of the advantages of a camper is the freedom to stop when we feel like it so we would prefer not to be tied to an itinary if possible.

TRENDING THREADS