Apr 14, 2007
Visit site
Hello I`m new to this caravaning. We bought our caravan last Oct just so that we could take it to steam rallies etc. I must explain we are basketmakers and cane /rush chair seaters. I had a brain wave that if we had a caravan and awning then we could be self sufficient and not pushed into a tent with about 50 other people demonstrating crafts etc. So here we are with a Swift Corniche its about 14 years old in lovely condition and we are thrilled to bits with it. I am now in the process of stocking it up with crocks and a store cupboard, I`m having a wonderfull time getting everything all matching the O/H says I`m going overboard a bit but who cares. The only downside is that at 55 never having towed a caravan its a bit scary.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trisha, welcome to the Forum, and the world of caravans.

Good luck with your new van, and as for towing, just take it easy and leave lots of room between you and the car in front so you have time to react to whats happening in front of you.

Remember, it will take you a bit longer to stop as you have a lot of weight pushing you forwards, and, it will take you longer to reach a sensible cruising spee, as you are pulling a lot of weight also.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tricia

Have you thought of enrolling on a towing course? Both the big clubs run them. I did one and it did wonders for my technique and confidence when towing.

Good luck

Denise

Apr 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I'm a newbie too. Although we had lots of extras with our old van, the crockery was china so I went looking for some melamine because of the weight, but they seemed expensive from caravan shops. Found just what I wanted at Wilkinsons (oops, can I advertise?). Lovely heather design and 2 mugs, side plates, dinner plates and bowls were just

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts