Newbie 2 or 4 berth advice, Lunar Chateau 470?

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi

We are looking to buy our first caravan. I was looking for something fairly easy to tow but with sufficient space for the wife and myself.

Initially I thought we would get a 2 berth, probably with an end washroom. However, when we visited a local dealers, we really liked the 4 berth fixed bed vans. In particular a Lunar Chateau 470 caught our eye. It seemed to offer the convenience of a fixed bed in a very light and compact design.

Does anyone have any experience of this caravan or can you offer any pointers on the pros and cons of a fixed bed design?

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
love fixed beds wouldnt have anything else. you wont regret it as you get a little older you wouldnt change it to another model because theres no need.

is it side washroom with side bed?.

or is it end wash room with side bed but smaller front seats?.

jo

G

The Lunar Chateau has a layout that is very popular in Europe, where the emphasis is on sleeping area at the expense of the washrrom. Depending on the origin of the model, it may be a pure EU equipped model with no oven and right hand door, or if UK suppied the door oi left handed and the oven may be fitted as an afterthought. The Chateau caravans were made in Belgium and there are many other makes with identical layouts and similar fittings. However the manufacturer has gone bust in 2008 and so although Lunar are still making vans, it is not the same operation.

However, the Chateau vans are very well made, strong, and as you say light for their size. They have a generous payload. They also have the EU longer A Frame which makes them a delight to tow. There is also a huge storage area under the bed, but do not get too greedy inthere. If the damp test is positive, and there is no reason to assume it won't be, then they make good buys. The shower is very small and if you drop the soap, then you will need to open the door to pick it up. Possibly more for emergencies than daily use.

Good luck

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We love our fixed bed Swift, same layout as the Lunar, above, and also a 'continental' model with the door on the 'wrong' side. We definitely wouldn't go back to 'cushion wrestling' (putting the bed up and taking it down each day was a chore). It's now 10 years old and we can't find anything we like better!
The drawbacks to this layout in a smaller van are that the seating area at the front is generally shorter - so if you plan to do a lot of entertaining get a good awning and do it outside. You'll also need to make up the front double bed if you have overnight visitors of more than about six years old (smaller children can sleep lengthways). As Scotchlad says, the shower is small too - but we generally stay on sites with good sanitary facilities, and have never used the shower in this van!
For a couple without children I think the fixed bed option is the best.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi m.
Weve just changed our Lunar fixed bed for a 4 berth with huge end washroom.
I admit that the fixed bed was comfy and no "cushion wrsetling"lol,but i just felt that having the bed there all day was taking up valuable living space and was awkward to reach the over head lockers where the bed was.
I prefer to spend a couple of minutes a day making up the bed and to have that extra space with big end washroom.
I will say though,the one thing i do miss, is the storage under the fixed bed which could also be accessed from the outside locker as well.
Adrian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts