Newbie from the Midlands

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi there

We're just about to buy a little caravan, this is a completely new area for us and I think buying it is the easy bit it's all the accessories and what we need is the hardest bit trying to get my head round it all

What do we need, wheel locks, hitch locks, water containers, battery, electric hook up, insurance?

We are buying a little 3 berth caravan Freedom Sunseeker as I'm scared to tow anything bigger so want to start small and can always go bigger I guess once I've got used to it

Another question too is that someone mentioned that as my daughter is disabled and we're probably going to have to get some grab rails put on in order for her to get in and out of the caravan ( she's a wheelchair user ) we are entitled to get the VAT back

does anyone know anything about this?

would be grateful for any advice of things to get and the VAT information

Thanks so much I look forward to getting to know you all better

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi fellow Midlander :)

Water containers - we have one big Aquaroll container and a spare 5-gallon container - so at least if the water runs out while one of us is in the shower we can quickly transfer the pump over to a back-up water supply!

Battery - we bought a 115AH battery from Halfords which we understand to be a rebadged Yuasa unit - reputed to be one of the best in the industry. Certainly ours has done what we need it to.

Insurance - the best price we've found the last 2 years has been from Camping & Caravanning Club but that is for an older caravan - from other posts we've seen on this topic it seems that their prices might go up more than some others for newer or more valuable caravans.

Not sure whereabouts in the Midlands you are but Cannock Caravan Accessories are helpful and good value for things like wheel clamps and hitch locks (both of which were a condition of our insurance), electric hook up cables, towing mirrors if you need them and Calor gas bottles. Towsure in Halesowen and Go Outdoors in Erdington also seem reasonable.

Can't help you on the disabled stuff and VAT I'm afraid but hope the above is of some use. Enjoy!

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
thank you this is most helpful, just found out that Cannock Caravan Accessories are only about 20mins away from me so will be trying there for some accessories, I've been to Go Outdoors in Erdington but never looked at caravan stuff there so think I'll be paying a visit

It's still seems to be loads of stuff to try and remember and get my head round

and there is a way for packing a caravan too I'm told, I'm guessing I need to google that too and something about not exceeding the weight? I feel like I'm learning a new foreign language lol

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
We're fairly new to this ourselves but I think I've got this right with respect to the language:

The weight you can't exceed is the maximum technically permissible laden mass (MTPLM). i think the same weight can also be called the maximum authorised mass (MAM) just to be confusing, The unladen weight of the caravan as it leaves the factory is called the mass in running order (MIRO). The payload is the difference between the MIRO and the MTPLM, and is the weight of stuff you can carry in it whilst towing without overloading.

Loading - you'll find all sorts of advice on Google and probably also on this forum but basically the heaviest stuff needs to be on the floor and above or just in front of the axle. Also make sure that the noseweight (which is the weight directly pressing down onto the towbar) isn't above that permitted by either your car or towbar manufacturer.

It's not as complicated as it sounds and after a few trips away you should be able to get a system going. Just remember the handbook, a lighter or matches for the gas hob and some wine (or gin in your case??) for your first trip and you'll be fine ...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at Towsure in Halesowen / Blackheath on Long Lane.
Towsure is a sort of caravan and camping supermarket who sell most of the things that you'll need to start up, but don't forget to check on E-bay or similar online auction sites for used accessories such as Aquarolls and waste water containers after checking the new price on the Towsure website.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
You may find fashioning an aluminium ramp yourself or commissioning one and then using a narrow transfer wheelchair easier than grab handles for getting in and out of the van.

The fixed grab rails you may have seen fitted to vans are predominantly classed as an additional security device and as such it's unlikely that they will be VAT exempt. The sucker type that are removable as you might use for a shower at home are much cheaper, a bit less secure but will be obtainable VAT free.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum and ask away about anything, someone will be able to help out with an answer or six

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome from another Midlands based newbie!
We bought our van in March and are loving it - we initially bought the basics to get us going, leisure battery, electric hook up cable, aqua roll, wastemaster and toilet chemicals and have added bits to it throughout the year.
There are some pages on facebook where people sell stuff that might be useful for you.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. The Freedom would be a good starter caravan if you are nervous about towing although in practice it is not that difficult. The thing you need to watch at first is that a caravan will cut in a bit on slow corners so at tight junctions you need to leave extra room on the inside. You can watch the caravan in the mirrors until you are confident.
Assuming you will be using a hook up you will not need a large battery and I would live with the cheapest you can find. As for the items you mention you might get a decent discount from the dealer but if not look on line after checking what you can get locally. If you are buying the bits for your daughters disability new the dealer might be the best person to advise on VAT.

TRENDING THREADS