Newbie needing advice for sites with kids

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Evening...I'm new to this caravanning lark, but am keen to get some advice from the wise owls on the site. We have 3 children under 4 and are looking for nice sites to visit throughout the year. Want to head to the South West for the summer hols, but other than that no real preferences other to keep the kids entertained.

Is there anybody out there with experience of a delightful site and surrounding area that will keep 3 children longing to return year after year.

N

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Neil,

Welcome to the world of caravanning!

I'm still a relative newcomer compared to most on this forum. However, we've been to plenty of sites since we started caravanning.

Our kids are 3, 5 & 7 and love the outdoors, riding their bikes, beaches, rock pooling and surfing so our choice of sites reflect this. Here are our favourites in the South West which are all well kept, family friendly sites:

Trewethett Farm - unbelievably sun set and sea views - Tintagel is interesting to visit (caught a blue lobster in the rock pool on the beach).

Hillhead - nice pool, good location for exploring Dartmouth, Blackpool Sands etc.

Polmanter- good pool and close to St. Ives

Godrevy - Excellent beach at Hayle

Trevornick - Excelent outdoor pool. Good location for surfing/beach exploring at Newquay or Perranporth. Relaxed entertainment for the children.

Treamble Valley -at bit secluded but short drive to Perranporth.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi, we often visit Whitemead Forest Park which is in Lydney, Gloustershire. We have 2 children aged 5 and 4 and they love it there. There is an indoor swimming pool, daytime activities, the evening entertainment in school holidays and weekends is very good for young children, you have got Sammy the squirrel and Tina the monkey and kids disco. There is a lot of space for bike riding. We only found it in August last year and have already been there 7 times which included new year. If you type whitemead forest park into Google you can have a look for yourself.

Hope this is of some help.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Neil

We are in the same position as you.

We pick our first caravan up at the end of Feb, and are sooooooo excited. We have 3 children too aged 5 to 12. A little bit older than your three.

We have booked quite a few sites for this year.

All CC sites. Hurn Lane in Burnham on Sea, for half term.

Our main holiday is 16 days in Treamble Valley in Perranporth, Cornwall and Damage Barton in Woolacombe, Devon. I cannot wait!!We have also booked Hillhead in Brixham, Devon which is great for the kids as it has an outdoor pool on site.

Our favourite site where we go away to alot with my parents is Blackmore. It is really quiet, such lovely friendly people with a fab play area for the kids. It has become a bit of a home from home for us there, and I can't wait to go back.

These are just a few of the places that we have chosen, so it would also be good to hear any views on these sites.

"Happy Caravanning"

Sam

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for you kind words of advice and recommendations. If anyone else has a special site that they would like to share, all will be considered in the fullness of time, and over the years I will hope to spend many weeks enjoying these, just as you all have!

N

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
you should try parkers farm ashburton in devon its a working farm and they do farm walks have a pets corner and the kids can collect the eggs they also have a large family bathroom

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Southwest is a fab place to holiday , especially with young kids but Summer hols time will be busy so be prepared.

Go for North Cornwall coast for good beeches

I like Godrevy but facilities are few.

Perranporth is a briliant beech with plenty of shops on the main road.

Polzeath is another cracking beech , less crowded.

My favourite is Watergate bay.

However things to do when the weather is not so good.

Check out Paradise Park (Hayle) the bird sanctury is very good , it has a massive outdoors play area and an indoor play barn - I actually like this as I get to be a big kid with my 3 year old. Another place to go is Dairy World Farm near Newquay , name gives it away but it has the Bull Pit indoor play area as well - briliant couldn't get me out the place!!!!

Newquay zoo's worth a visit.

The list goes on.

One final advice - dont let the kids have the blue bubblegum ice cream - it takes for ever to get it of faces , hands and clothes!!!!

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Ooh the North Cornwall coast, had many happy holidays down there one of my favourite places. We went for 8 years on the trot, stopping only when the Eclipse in 1999 clashed with our holiday . Then we discovered France........and thats another story.

We're going to the Padstow Mayday festivities this year at last, we've been wanting to for years. Cant wait to sink my teeth into a Chough bakery cornish pasty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts