Newbie to tugging

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have read over the months almost evey topic and argument posted and have enjoyed them all. But after a lot of forecourt searching and goodness knows how much research we have finally got a Dethleffs 550L and changed the car for a Freelander Td4.

(Incidentaly, to the idiots that want to ban 4x4's I would like to add that I am getting around 34mpg and the present Mrs W drives a Bmw mini and only gets around 26mpg) Anyway I digress,This weekend marks the innaugural ( I thinks thats miss pelt!) trip to the lakes with hopefully 75 kg noseweight 2 dogs 1 wife and second hand Isabella awning (with no destructions) 2litres of red 24 cans of Stella and a block of cheese. If I have forgot anything I can buy it later! So if anyone is interested I will repost on my return and wish you all well.

P.s. Do any of you guys go anyuwhere New year as a group type of thing?? I know its a tad early but I gotta ask.

Bonjour

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tom, welcome to the world of caravaning, I found your question about us all going away together quite amusing, as you have been following the posts over the last few weeks you'll probably realize that if we did all go away together it would end up as a full scale riot

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a word of warning Tom, try avoiding upsetting a minority of members by saying "those" instead of "the idiots".

Anyway, welcome the caravaning best thing I ever did.

PS Exellect choice of car, I have the petrol version 28mpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Tom some of us do try and get away for New years and generally for periods over the winter months. Try joining a club if you want to go away as a group, manufacturers usually have clubs associated with them or the major caravanning clubs usually organise something. If your just looking for a site over the New Years period, get in there fast as they book up early, and try to get hard standing if poss.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good choice of caravan Tom. Don't assumed the noseweight though, I have a Dethleffs DL540 and struggle to keep the noseweight below 90kgs, this is with only spare wheel and one gas bottle up front!. No problems towing though...... very stable. Do I dare mention that I tow with a BMW 330d or will those three little letters insight others to accuse me of being an unthinking road hog!! (Bit difficult to do a ton plus in the outside lane whilst towing....... or is it?)

Have a great weekend

Graham F

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good choice of caravan Tom. Don't assumed the noseweight though, I have a Dethleffs DL540 and struggle to keep the noseweight below 90kgs, this is with only spare wheel and one gas bottle up front!. No problems towing though...... very stable. Do I dare mention that I tow with a BMW 330d or will those three little letters insight others to accuse me of being an unthinking road hog!! (Bit difficult to do a ton plus in the outside lane whilst towing....... or is it?)

Have a great weekend

Graham F
Imagine how hated you could be if you towed with a BMW X5 (4x4), bear thinking about? Damn right it does, I would love one!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why do you have to bring the subject of 4x4s up again? Have you proof that those against them are idiots? Mr. moderator please note that this thread was not started by the 'usual suspects'!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Because the original poster quoted the mpg they get from a Freelander and a Mini. The 4x4 does better.

Blows a hole in your augument does it not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why do you have to bring the subject of 4x4s up again? Have you proof that those against them are idiots? Mr. moderator please note that this thread was not started by the 'usual suspects'!
That's it, go off and tell teacher....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts