May 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

We are going to have a look around at vans this weekend. My query is that I (or my parents) used to go caravaning for weeks when I was a child and I really enjoyed it. Now time has passed by and I have a 2 yr old and 6 week old baby. My wife was aking about the possibility of getting a van for holidays as we used to go camping and that's just not practibale anymore.... at least for a few years.

So, interested in thoughts on the practical side of caravaning with very young children. Also, thoughts on the type of van to go for. We would be towing with a 2004 Honda CRV.

Cheers

R

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ric when ours where little we had a 5 berth and used to put the travel cot in between the 2 back seats and we also used a bed guard for an extra precaution for our son there was only 14 months between youngest 2 when we first went son was a year old eldest was 4 we just used the car seat or buggy for feeding times we found the travel cot invaluable especially when we were cooking or putting awning up we could just put the 2 of the wee ones in to play you could also check out http://www.whattowcar.com/ for a rough guide as what you can tow

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I also was thinking about a seperate bedroom at the read of the van, that way when they get older they can share the space together.

Awning is a good thought, I suppose it provides somewhere safe for them out of the way.

Is there any sort of guide available as to what is what, so when you buy a car, you can research the reliability etc with sites like honestjohn and whatcar, anything for vans ?

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
when my husbands brother and sister in law brought the nephew to visit us on site 4 years ago we just rolled the doors on the awning halfway down as he was 18 months old and he played quite happily with his toys while we sat outside

the 5 berth vans we have had all had a partion door across that we could shut over when the kids where in bed it also had a bunk you could put up above the beds we only changed when we had to put the double bed up two years ago to accomodate youngest and she was nearly 12 then.

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I think all the tips you have received are very good. We started touring when our children were very young (they are only 6 and 4 now, mind you). We found it was great keeping everything you need in the caravan. Our kids would forget what toys and books etc they had in the van and then be pleased when they seen them again. We had a 5 Berth with a very separate area at the end with a curtain to pull across. We bathed them in a small paddling pool in the awning with a rug, towels and heater on for them coming out! We have had our `fraught` moments but our children are very healthy with fresh air and a good quality of life that caravanning as a family gives us. All the best Ric and family. Let us know how you get on please.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts