Newbies looking for campervan

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi newbies here.
We are new to motorhomes and looking for a campervan with automatic transmission and with a rear u shaped lounge. We are open to make/model but length would be no more than 6metres..needs to fit on our drive.
Would like to hear any advice tips you could give us.Many thanks

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello MikeSandra. A campervan is traditionally a small VW conversion and I can't think of any that would have enough room for a u-shaped lounge. In the next category come small coachbuilt motorhomes and panel van conversions [PVCs]. Above this, come A-class motorhomes, usually with a drop down bed in the cab. If you want a rear lounge within 6m, you are probably looking at a small coachbuilt or a PVC. There will be more to choose from in the PVC ranges.

Automatics are rare although the recent Fiat Ducato ranges has an option called 'Comfortmatic' which is a robotised gearbox but not a true automatic. You will find true auto boxes in Mercs [tend to be large motorhomes] and old Ford Transit based ones. You can also retrofit 'clutchless systems'.

Campervans/leisure vehicles sold in the UK vary enormously in value from a second hand one around say £5000 to a brand new 'liner' at £350,000. An indication of budget will help narrow that down!

Based on the minimal information provided, I would suggest looking at Fiat based PVCs with the Comfortmatic. If you buy new, you can specify the Comfortmatic, if buying one a few years old, you will find some but most will be manual.

I have 6m A-class with Comfortmatic but no U-shaped lounge.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I would be inclined to agree it's the previous post, a PVC with comfortmatic but am not aware of many PVCs which have a U shaped lounge, these are more common with coach built.

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Best advice I can give you is go around any local dealers or better still try and visit one or more of the motorhome shows that are on but they are not on in winter time.
For a "U" rear lounge you are looking at a coachbuilt not a campervan.
Are you looking for new or secondhand ?.
Good hunting.

TRENDING THREADS