Newspapers

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The last time we bought a newspaper was for our puppy. If one had to start reading newspapers, which would be the preferred choice for a newspaper that is not bias, too right or left wing and generally reporting is fairly correct or is that an impossibility?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to take the DT but it became a bit too right even for me, so it’s the Times. Just started to read Saturdays as things have been a bit topsy turvy this last few days.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The last time we bought a newspaper was for our puppy. If one had to start reading newspapers, which would be the preferred choice for a newspaper that is not bias, too right or left wing and generally reporting is fairly correct or is that an impossibility?
Which does the puppy recommend?

I don’t take any papers. My own fault probably, but I tend to read for too much between the lines. Also, I keep asking the obvious questions that the reporter did not bother to ask. So get increasingly frustrated at the despicably poor reporting. I also hate the manner in which papers manage to say the same thing in a slightly different way in the headlines, then the introduction, then the body (a couple or more times), then the conclusion.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The choice will largely be dictated what you want in the paper raging from the very low brow Sun (sorry if that insults you) to things like the heavyweight Times and Guardian. It is a personal choice and probably depends partly on your political views and how deeply you want subjects covered.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The choice will largely be dictated what you want in the paper raging from the very low brow Sun (sorry if that insults you) to things like the heavyweight Times and Guardian. It is a personal choice and probably depends partly on your political views and how deeply you want subjects covered.
We don't really have political leanings as such as politicians are all the same, i.e. you know they are lying when they move their lips! No interest in newspapers like the Sun, Mirror etc. Although almost impossible I would prefer to read a newspaper that is more factual with their reporting. As we can't get papers delivered it will be an Online paper.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
My suggestions would be an online news aggregator like Google News. That way you get to see news from a variety of sources and can teach the algorithm what it is you actually like to read about.
Another option if you are looking at reading the whole paper is to use your library card to login and view multiple papers. Search your library website I would be very surprised if they don't offer free online access to a thousand or more free periodicals.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My suggestions would be an online news aggregator like Google News. That way you get to see news from a variety of sources and can teach the algorithm what it is you actually like to read about.
Another option if you are looking at reading the whole paper is to use your library card to login and view multiple papers. Search your library website I would be very surprised if they don't offer free online access to a thousand or more free periodicals.
Haven't used a library in the last 12 years so no longer have a card plus the library closest to us has closed down due to building being demolished and with no alternative close by.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Along with The Times which I don’t have every day I make occasional one off payments to the Guardian online, and free access to CNN and Der Spiegel. Tend to steer clear of GBN, DM and DE.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Along with The Times which I don’t have every day I make occasional one off payments to the Guardian online, and free access to CNN and Der Spiegel. Tend to steer clear of GBN, DM and DE.
Can you please translate GBN and DE? I assume DM is Daily Muck?

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Haven't used a library in the last 12 years so no longer have a card plus the library closest to us has closed down due to building being demolished and with no alternative close by.
You may be able to sign up/renew online. Would probably be worth investigating considering the advantages, you will probably even find that you can use it to read Practical Caravan for free too.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts