Night stop northern France/ Normandy

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We are travelling on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of August. I estimate that we will get out of the Tunnel at about 4.30 local time (16.30), heading West, and reckon to travel a couple of hours before we stop. Can anyone suggest a night halt in that sort of time frame? If we get away earlier, we might get as far as the Rouen area. Our plan is to skirt the Paris area by going via Dreux and Evreux to Chartres & Orleans - a route we have used often in the past.

I know Val A suggests the Baie de la Somme services as a safe overnight stop and that is certainly an option. However, if we can, we would rather get onto a site, bearing in mind that it is high season.

Any ideas, folks?

Jo

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
There is a site at Neufchatel en Bray (Google Camping-Ste-Claire) which should be ideal for you. There is also a large supermarket about half a mile away so you can fill up with diesel if you need to. It's on page 445 of the current CC guide.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jo - I'd only suggest staying at Baie de la Somme if you have no option. That's if, like us, you arrive in France late at night,and it's too late to find a site. For anyone else I'd recommend finding a campsite. There are several sites, recommended along that route - one that comes to mind is at Neufchatel en Bray, http://www.camping-sainte-claire.com/ or there's another at Blagny sure Bresle - Camping Municipal, Les Etangs. We've never stayed along that coast, because our timings are always wrong!

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at Neufchatel en bray a couple of weeks ago for a night and it was fine, site busy but had room. Does not take Camping Cheques and the cost in June for two adults was about 15 Euros. Easy to find and quickly back on the motorway the next morning.

Andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Val, have you any particular reason for saying " I'd only suggest staying at Baie de la Somme if you have no option".

Is it just general regarding night stops on autoroute aires or is there anything specific?

I usually travel Poole - Cherbourg but this year will be using Le Shutttle arriving in France a 19.30 local time. I had considered stopping at Baie de la Somme but I am quite prepared to carry on towards Chartres. I have a motorhome these days and it is usually easy to find somewhere for some sleep.

Many thanks, Ray

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
We stopped at Baie de la Somme last year at about 10.30pm and got the last of the dedicated caravan bays. When we walked up to the services early next morning we saw several vans in the main parking area as well.

The main problem that we had was that we found it to be very noisy due to the traffic on the autoroute and cars going past us during the night - possibly looking for a spare bay. We didn't feel at all vulnerable and I believe that the services are patrolled, although we didn't actually see anyone doing this.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Val, have you any particular reason for saying " I'd only suggest staying at Baie de la Somme if you have no option".

Is it just general regarding night stops on autoroute aires or is there anything specific?

I usually travel Poole - Cherbourg but this year will be using Le Shutttle arriving in France a 19.30 local time. I had considered stopping at Baie de la Somme but I am quite prepared to carry on towards Chartres. I have a motorhome these days and it is usually easy to find somewhere for some sleep.

Many thanks, Ray
We always stay there - and it's a lovely place, with good parking areas for caravans, a nice restaurant, and good showers - but because we arrive late, not because we don't want to find a site.

I think if you're early enough (which the original poster would be, probably arriving about 6.30) then you don't want to be spending four hours before bedtime sitting in the parking area of an autoroute service area. It's much nicer to find a site, where you can pitch up, then sit outside and relax before going to bed. We arrive so late (usually well after midnight) that we just wind down the steadies and hop into bed so a service area suits us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always stay there - and it's a lovely place, with good parking areas for caravans, a nice restaurant, and good showers - but because we arrive late, not because we don't want to find a site.

I think if you're early enough (which the original poster would be, probably arriving about 6.30) then you don't want to be spending four hours before bedtime sitting in the parking area of an autoroute service area. It's much nicer to find a site, where you can pitch up, then sit outside and relax before going to bed. We arrive so late (usually well after midnight) that we just wind down the steadies and hop into bed so a service area suits us.
Val, Many thanks, Ray

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I shall carry them with me. Even if we get an earlier train, we won't go any further than Neufchatel on the first night.

Jo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts