Nissan Xtrail - Built in Sat Nav...anyone have and how reliab...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the built in SatNav with our new Xtrail, I was just wondering how many of you Xtrail users also have the satnav and if so how reliable has it been when towing. I have not had a chnace to really play yet to see if you can avoid certain roads etc, the first time we will get to use it for real (going some new) will be when we also tow for the first time!

I assume if you are reading this thread you are an XT owner so I have a quick 'off topic' question that you may be able to help me with.

Of you have the sat nav, there is also a option to record distance travelled and average speed, mine seems to stay showing ***** even after I reset it, it simply does not do anything, just wondered if I am doing something wrong or if I have a problem?

Many Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I understand it, most sat nav's buy in mapping data from external companies.

The map data only identifies the position of the roads, and any one way traffic information. It does not make any differentiation between the classes of roads or more specifically the unsuitability of roads for good vehicles or caravans. So it will still direct heavy goods through villages even though the roads are not suitable - the same applies to caravans.

Where a Sat nav does make some differentiation between vehicle types, it mainly relates to the speed profile, and that affects journey times.

There is a growing lobby of authorities and consumers pushing for the mapping companies to include road ratings, but this has not been implemented yet. - if or when it does, then Sat navs will become even more usefull for caravanners.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi H&M, when you are talking about the sat nav in your Nissan, you may as well talk about all of them. In principle, they are all the same, although some have different features. I wouldn't be without mine, in unfamiliar territory, it can be a god send. there are however limitations, the biggest as John L has pointed out, is that it can't distinguish between a suitable road and a none suitable road for caravans or large vehicles. I had to use mine recently when the M62 was blocked, to get from Junction 22 to North Notts. It took me down some very tight and twisty roads. Up hill and down dale, with some very picturesque views, in fact the work buddy following me, phoned to say he was enjoying the sight of the fighter planes, below him! It was a fun way to get home, but if I had been towing the van, I would have been in real trouble. It's always advisable to check a proposed route against a paper map if there is any danger of a trip into the wilds. A map may not be able to tell you if the route is suitable but it will give you an idea of what's available. If you are traveling to a site try and get any information from the site as for which way way to approach it. It's nice to be out in the countryside, but they put these oasis in some of the most difficult places to reach.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to say Sat Nav should not switch off common sense.

We live at the top of a narrow twisting very steep hill with signs at top and bottom saying unsitable for HGV.

Because it doesn't say unsuitable for caravans doesn't mean that it is !!

There was a case in the paper of a bus driver who ignored HGV signs because it was a PSV vehicle and then got wedged in a narrow lane.

Many caravan sites say follow the directions in the site book for the last bit of the journey.

That is good advice.

We have the XT and the sat nav is great especially fot getting back to a campsite after a day out.

We did have to do a detour of Ikea carpark in Holland when 50 yards from the site the road became a bus lane with rising ramps

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
We bought our Columbia 2.2dCi last August and have found the in-built sat nav system to be very good indeed. Whilst touring France in Sep/Oct it was very useful in navigating us into and out of cities such as Perpignan and Nimes. As mentioned by others, you do need to be aware of being directed down roads that are unsuitable for a caravan, particularly if you choose the 'shortest route' option. One of the biggest boons is the constant update of road and weather conditions with both verbal and visible warnings. Also I like the 3-D close-up views of major motorway junctions as you approach.

The downside is the cost of replacing the DVD :( We did notice in France that information on some N road junctions was out of date, which can cause some confusion. Also, some Departments in France have changed N-road numbers to D-road numbers, which also initially confused us! Apparently a new DVD was released in January (part no. KE288-9996X-06 or KE288-9997X-06 depending on version). AFAIK, price is somewhere between

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As said, Satnavs do not account for road widths so you have to use with brain engaged.

www.pocketgpsworld.com covers virtually all off the shelf satnavs and in car fitted varieties.

Go to the forums there for info re upgrading or problems with your system or how to use it to its best.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use my Sat Nav from starting point telling it to use only M or A roads to the nearest town or village from the site. I then follow the written instructions to the site usually given by the site management. Had no problems and have used it for 3 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts