no flow of hot water

May 12, 2006
Visit site
just took van out after laid up for 5 months, water heater is hot to the touch however when i open hot water taps no water comes through this applies to toilet as well, cold water is ok and i can hear the water pump going when opening the hot taps so no problem there can anyone help...cheers in advance

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Need a bit more info to be sure however.

Do yo have mixer taps if so does the tap action (red light for example) show. If not suspect microswitch if fitted. I think that one is unlikly as you have cold flowing through the cold system.

Have you left the tap open in hot position (even with only cold water in the tank) for a period long enough to get rid of the air, If not just run it intill the water starts running befor putting the heater on for the first outing.

I would not run the water heater until you have water running via the hot tap or hot side of the mixer tap.

ttfn

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Need a bit more info to be sure however.

Do yo have mixer taps if so does the tap action (red light for example) show. If not suspect microswitch if fitted. I think that one is unlikly as you have cold flowing through the cold system.

Have you left the tap open in hot position (even with only cold water in the tank) for a period long enough to get rid of the air, If not just run it intill the water starts running befor putting the heater on for the first outing.

I would not run the water heater until you have water running via the hot tap or hot side of the mixer tap.

ttfn
thanxs for reply, i will try leaving heater off and open hot tap and see if it runs through. the kitchen and bathroom are mixer taps,let you know when i get back from outing this weekend if any joy...once again thanxs in advance for the whole forums help

ttfn

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
thanxs for reply, i will try leaving heater off and open hot tap and see if it runs through. the kitchen and bathroom are mixer taps,let you know when i get back from outing this weekend if any joy...once again thanxs in advance for the whole forums help

ttfn
Hi, If your cold water is running and you have a arver cascade water heater fitted in your van, the problem is a failed non-return valve, if you look at the heater from inside the van it is the valve at the bottom on the right hand side, replace this and it should solve your problem.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Norfolk Mike I cant believe that you missed the chance to diagnose that the problem really is caused by..................................Crap Taps!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Russell,

I assume you have a Carver Cascade 2 or 2GE water heater. It sounds as though the cold water inlet non-return valve on the heater has jammed. This can happen in the heater is not fully drained and there is sufficient frost to freeze the water in the valve body.

The valve is located at the bottom of the main casting on the left hand side inside the caravan. It screws into the casting, and can be replaced.

As the water freezes, it expands. Any water in the valve body will freeze and push the internal 'O' ring of it's seat and damage it, and jams the valve .

This severely restricts or totally prevents the flow of cold water into the heater, and so you will not get any appreciable amount of hot water out.

Do not use the heater until the valve is sorted out, as you may overheat the heat exchanger and damage the fusible plug.

To prevent re-occurance of the problem always ensure the water system and the heater are fully drained if the caravan is not in use and there is a danger of frost.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
hi everyone on the forum, away the weekend and tryed norfolk mikes suggestion no joy will try the suggestion of john i.as i am new to caravan ing(got caravan last year)i did not drain the heater and i live in west scotland so i will replace this valve and keep you posted thanxs for the help cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a simular problem last month. It was caused by the hose leading from the submersable pump to the van being split. The cold water ran OK but the pressure required to open the one way valve into the heater was being lost from the hose.

Also, check the pump is OK and that the connection from the pump to the hose isn't leaking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts