Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Help. caravan just been serviced, but gas not flowing to appliances. I've checked cylinder, replaced regulator, tried gas taps in all positions.

caravan is an Abbey Spectrum 540. Is there a tap hidden away somewhere? Are gas taps on along the pipe or across it? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Martyn, IF you have any doubt at all concerning gas, and assuming you havn't found a magic tap, dont mess, if you have just had it serviced contact your service agent and instruct them to check the system. If they have broken or remade any gas joint as part of the service they are legally responsible for its correct operation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martyn,

We had this problem 3 yrs ago & discovered it was caused by a tiny amount of water in the gas pipe which got in there somehow during the dealer service. I have subsequently learned that dealers check the gas supply with air pressure - not by lighting the appliances !!. Take yr van straight back to the servicing agent - if they pressure tested your system, I bet you have water in there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, the gas taps are on when they are along the pipe. As you have no gas to any appliance the problem appears be in the main feed. Follow the pipe work from the point where the flexible hose joins it. In my van there is a small tap (black & yellow) just after the junction. If you do not have this in line isolator follow the copper pipe into the van and look for an isolator.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks one and all for your advice. I heated the van up with the truma heater and the gas came on. A friend suggested that the system might have been tested with butane which then froze. Who knows!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Martin, just read your reply 3rd March, Butane is bad news in winter, The outside temperature only needs to drop to about 0C, and the liquified gas in the bottle has trouble evapourating. The gas can also reliquify in the pipes under the caravan. As your friend suggested Propane is better suited to winter caravanning, as it will continue to evapourate down to about Minus 40C (happens to be the same in F as well)

I'm glad you seem to have it sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts