No more fixed beds!!

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
After a gap of 5 years without a caravan we are returning to the fold and looking to buy a new hopefully upmarket 4 berth van suitable for all year round use and to take skiing to the Alps. Every time we see a van that may be suitable we find that they all have fixed beds. We want living space not half the van taken up with massive washroom and bed. Some 4 berths have a token double on the side next to the the front double which doesn't give much privacy. Ideally we would like a rear end diner/bed. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi helenhedley,
Well we have a 5 berth Bailey Pageant Provence series 5, which has a L shaped front lounge ,(The modern vans haved the inline lounges) which we use for ocassional daytime lounging and tv viewing.
The rear lounge we use as the dining area during the day and a double bed during the night.
We had a fixed bed van but found the front lounge seating arrangements too short to put your feet up when relaxing.
Wished we had purchased this layout from the start, would have saved us a lot of hard earnt cash.

Royston

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I have to say we agree with your opinion of the fixed bed arrangement. We have an L shaped lounge with side dinette and rear washroom. The overall feeling in our 'van is fairly spacious and as long as I am fit and capable of making up the bed we will stick with the layout we have. IMHO the island fixed bed may suit us later in life but for now we'd rather have the extra space for daily living rather than half the 'van given over to an area only used when we're asleep. Our rear washroom which also houses the wardrobe is a definite plus for us it means when we return during the day from skiing/golf/walking or whatever we can shower and change in the end washroom without closing the blinds in the whole 'van for privacy. The same applies in the morning, either of us can be showering/dressing and not encroaching on the space where breakfast is being prepared and served. However, each to their own and I'm sure that the sales figures of the fixed bed models would prove that I am in the minority.

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
I have to say , we have a fixed bed and we love it, there is no law that beds are only for sleeping on, we often lounge about on it in the day, relaxing, reading etc , also the perfect place to send our son with his DS game thingy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts