Noisy towhitch

jo3

Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
When turning at slow speeds the noise that our towhitch makes is very bad, and quite embarassing. I took the van for a service and they said that the pads in the tow hitch were probably worn and they would change them. They did this but the noise is as bad as ever.

Somebody has now suggested that the answer is to buy a taller towball, as the standard one is incorrect for the alko stabiliser fitted to the van. We suggested this to the company that carried out the service but they were not convinced and said that we must have contaminated the pads again. I keep the ball clean and cannot beleive that the mechanism is that delicate.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jo

You do need an Al-Ko tow ball for the same stabiliser, it's got a longer neck so the stabiliser will clear the car. You need to remove ALL the paint etc... from the ball or the pads will become contaminated causing the noise. You could try rubbing the pads in the tow hitch with some fine wet'n'dry then wiping with a clean cloth, this worked for me. Some people say to clean them with car brake cleaner but I haven't found it necessary.

You will normally get a bit of noise from the tow hitch anyway but that's normal.

Hope this helps

MikeyW

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi.

We too had a really loud creaking noise noise when turning at slow speeds i.e in a site. I was convinced it was either a dirty towball or pads on the stabalizer. When we arrived at out last site I lifted the gripping lever (unsure of its technical name) therefore releasing the pads from the ball and hey presto, the noise reduced some 90%.

I cleaned the towball with 800g wet and dry and gave the pads a good rub with some kitchen towel. Since then there has been no noise at all !!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It may be worth noting that Al-Ko recommend releasing the pad pressure when manoeuvering to allow easier turning, and to reduce the noise of the pads rubbing the ball.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts