Normandy Beaches

May 9, 2009
Visit site
We are planning to stay in Normandy and visit the beaches and museums relating to the second world war.

We would appreciate your assistance in recommending a caravan site to stay.

We would like a 4 star site to ensure the facilities are clean. We would like an adults only site if possible. Nothing against children.

Its our first trip to France and are looking forward to it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are interested in Falaise, [The Falaise Gap], then there is a great Camping Municipal within the town at the base of William The Conquorers castle. an easy stroll into this nice town which is very friendly. There should be no reason to book as even in Summer there is a daily turnover as it is a well known night stop of from Cherbourg and Caen to the south.

http://en.falaise-tourisme.com/

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are interested in Falaise, [The Falaise Gap], then there is a great Camping Municipal within the town at the base of William The Conquorers castle. an easy stroll into this nice town which is very friendly. There should be no reason to book as even in Summer there is a daily turnover as it is a well known night stop of from Cherbourg and Caen to the south.

]http://en.falaise-tourisme.com/
http://en.falaise-tourisme.com/[/quote
http://en.falaise-tourisme.com/Camping-Municipal-Falaise,4,27,121.html

May 27, 2010
Visit site
There is a great site at Courseulles-sur-Mer,excellent facillities also. right on the beach at the end of the Prom.This is where the Canadians landed on D-Day.Nice town, the Canadian WW2 Memorial and Exibition Centre is also right on the beach.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
We have stayed at chateau matringy 6 km east of bayeux part of

the castels chain 4*.

I would recomend a visit to 360 exibition at arramanches it`s

very good.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While it's not adults only, I would recommend Camping Le Cormoran in Ravenoville Plage, nr. St Mere Eglise (the first town in Normandy to be liberated). It's at the northern end of Utah Beach, and the beach is right outside the gate. It's in easy reach of all the museums and attractions at that end, and access is very easy. We've been twice, both times in August, and, although full, the place never felt at all crowded or busy, and we didn't even notice the children on site. Facilities were ample, and spotless. A fascinating area, a great site, and well worth a visit.

The site is Caravan Club listed, and I've reviewed it on www.caravansitefinder.co.uk . It has its own website at www.lecormoran.com .

Whatever you decide, and wherever you stay, have a great time. The locals have never forgotten how the Allies liberated them in the 1944, and they make Brits and Yanks alike very welcome.

Museums are all good. The best we found were at Arromanches. The glider museum at St. Mere Eglise is also very good, and there are many others.

Advice... If you are visiting more than a couple of museums buy a 'Normandy Pass', the discounts you get are well worth it. Reception at the site will advise you, or you can buy them at any attraction.

Enjoy!

(By the way, I'm not the same Derek as he who posted further up the page, although he too has a brilliant name!)

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Not an adult only park but we stayed at Camping Portland at Port en Bessin a couple of years ago in September. We had a quiet pitch which was fully serviced. Its quite a big site and I would not want to be there in July / August but in September it was fine and quiet. The location is between Omaha beach and Arromanches where there are the remains of the Mulberry Harbour. Port en Bessin itself is where PLUTO, the pipe line under the sea came ashore. It is within walking distance of the site (uphill on the way back) and has a number of nice cafes / restaurants along the harbours edge.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Derek / Tim / Ray

Thank you for your advice.

I did look at the site at Ravenoville and from your comments Derek, it is the favourite so far.

Thank you once again.

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Your best bet might be to buy the Michelin Green Guide for Normandy. They are comprehensive tourist guides. There is a lot to see and that way you can pick and choose what suits you. You can buy them through places like Amazon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts