North Wales

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Having just returned from N wales, my recommendation is Don't go.

Landudno is worth a visit, as for Porthmadog, Rhyl and Prestatyn and Caernarfon I think they were closed when we were there and they looked very run down.

The mountains are very nice if you can see them for the low cloud and rain and you get fed up of reading all the signs in Welsh before reading them in English.

Only my opinion of course.....

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
The Lake District is so named because it has Lakes. They are the result of rain. Pretty obvious.

Snowdonia might be named after snow but you don't get that in summer. You get rain. Anywhere inland is more effected than the coast so if you choose an inland site the chances of getting wet are higher. In fairness the whole of the UK has had a poor summer yet again so no matter where you chose you might well have been disappointed.

Chris makes some valid observations on a generalised basis. Rhyl ( despite spending millions on attempting to revive it's fortunes) has major problems. Prestatyn too has not got that much to offer. Caernarfon has some gems but in general it's one big missed opportunity. A town that has everything to exploit has just let it pass by. One can only assume the locals don't want their town to become one of the biggest draws not only in the UK but in Europe. ( It has a magnificent Edwardian castle,walled town, harbour,old buildings and cobbled streets, Roman history, stunning location on the Menai Straits all with the back drop of Snowdonia)

Llandudno has a lot to offer, and nearby Conwy too. This is probably the best place to base your self for a trip to N Wales as everything is within reasonable distance for a day trip.There are not too many campsites around there though. I would personally avoid most sites that fall in the Abergele to Prestatyn coastal belt but that is my preference.

Anglesey has great beaches but not so many attractions.

As for Chris's comments about the Welsh language, do you not find it strange when you go to France and find the signs written in French and they don't bother giving you the English version !

It's all part of the enjoyment of a different culture but there again maybe that's not what you were looking for.

The big attraction of North Wales to most people is it's rugged beauty. To enjoy it, get out of your car and get walking.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Emma,

I have lived in North Wales for 16 years.I live next to Portmeirion just outside Porthmadog.

I cannot think of a more beutiful place to live.

Within minutes of home there are good beaches,one you can take your car on,estuaries,rivers, mountains, steam railways,wonderful gardens etc.

However we do not have what i call a CITY way of life, nightclubs etc. exactly the reason i came to live here.

People who do not appreciate these things just drive round in cars, and except for the towns, never get out to walk and see what is on offer.

Llandudno is our main seaside resort, 45 miles away, so don't go too often, however it is in my opinion a good seaside resort without the rowdiness of others.

Which site? The Ffestiniog site,caravan club,is an excellent site.

An excellent private site is Bardy, between Porthmadog and Harlech, good views and spotless facilities.They don't accept dogs so you would be ok.

Hamer

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Emma,

Forgot to say both these sites are good for seeing the whole of North Wales. If you choose a coastal site in the North then you are restricted in seeing the complete area without doing a lot of mileage.

Hamer

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hamer's observations are spot on too. Porthmadog is a great base too but again not central. If you want central look at Bettws Y Coed but expect more rain and less activities that are not based on the countryside !

There are lots of small CL type camp sites down the Lleyn Peninsular and Anglesey. I must admit though, with 2 children I think Llandudno and surrounds might be your best bet.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
All,

Thanks for the comments, it's the actual sites I'm interested in.

I have read a few reviews but good honest feedback on a site like this is worth more to me.

Are the toilets/showers cleaned?

Are bins emptied?

General site appearence?

Pitch size?

Host's general attitude. Helpful, polite, well mannered?

We are quite happy to site van and walk locally to site. So the site for us is key.

Any feedback on North Wales Sites would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Emma

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at Dinarth Hall, Rhos on Sea.

A family owned working farm/camp site.

We've stayed there a number of times. Just use it as a base and either go into Llandudno/Rhos for the beach or other surrounding towns for other days out.

Showers rather oddly are up by the entrance gate - but it's a nice tidy site without being too far out of the way of everything.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Emma,

I think from other posts you are a caravan club member. If i a am right then the Caravan Club site at Ffestiniog as i mentioned previously is excellent.

Choice of large hardstandings or a few on grass.Usual high caravan club standards.Across the lane from the site entrance is a good country pub serving good wholesome meals.

This is the site many friends use when visiting.

From the site easy access, North to Betws and Llandudno, West to Porthmadog and the Llyn Peninsula, South to Barmouth and the Cader Idris area, or East to Bala and Llangollen.

Hamer

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at Dinarth Hall, Rhos on Sea.

A family owned working farm/camp site.

We've stayed there a number of times. Just use it as a base and either go into Llandudno/Rhos for the beach or other surrounding towns for other days out.

Showers rather oddly are up by the entrance gate - but it's a nice tidy site without being too far out of the way of everything.
Thankyou ever so much.

Emma

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
North Wales is all about its rugged beauty and if you want a great new caravan park right in centre of the beautiful village of Betws-y-Coed try the Riverside Touring Park completely refurbished and will become one of the top sites in Wales. (Sister parks in England are Oxon Hall, Shrewsbury and Stanmore Hall at Bridgnorth both top sites). Plenty to do in the area - Snowdon and its railway if you dont want to walk - Ffestiniog Railways - Llechwedd Slate Caverns plus many other attractions of the area. As with the whole of the UK these days you take pot luck with the weather.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks James,

I think we know where this is,Google Earth also helped.

We have a twin axle (over 21ft) towed by a 4x4. What is the access like, have you actually been to this site.

I am fearing we may have problems accessing the site and leaving on a Sunday (visitors everywhere) maybe an issue.

Your thoughts, thanks.

Emma

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Emma,

James is right the site is central in Betws.However we visited the site a couple of weekends ago. the site was full and we could not believe how close some of the pitches were. Also we have a large twin axle and 4x4 and we remarked that even some large single axles were filling the pitches. front to rear.One twin axle was backed right up to the hedge so that his draw bar did not stick out in the roadway.He had a full awning and 4x4 and no where to sit on the pitch. The site felt very cramped.As we had been asked by friends with a large twin axle to give it the once over we called in again a couple of days ago. It just confirmed our origonal impression.

It is nothing like the companies Stanmore Hall Site at Bridgenorth. Knowing how good that site is we were not impressed with the Betws site.As you enter the site you pass the static caravans before reaching the touring section.

Hamer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have only visited this park and not stayed on it. Some of the pitches are a bit tight for large outfits and you do have to pass through the static area to get to the touring pitches. The main problems with this site is it is affiliated to the Caravan Club and therefore is very busy - virtually full all the time. Suggest you call the site with details of your unit and see if they have a pitch which can cope

Feb 23, 2008
Visit site
Summer 2008 visited the C&CC site at Llanystumdwy near Criccieth

Gwynedd. Great place local bus run until 11 ish if you want a night out and can visit most places mentioned above quite easily.

If you need any outdoor kit Gelert has a factory shop on the road into PorthMadog.

Steve G

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Emma

We stayed in Llanrwst this summer but it was an adults only site. Bron Derw which was excellent. we found Llanrwst an excellent base for touring North Wales. We did not want to go to Rhyll or Prestatyn. We went to Llandudno and Conwy. What beautiful picturesque places. The Lleyn peninsular is also beautiful. We found Betwys very busy with sightseers. You must visit Llangollen.

I am heading to Hereford and Brecon next week but will definitely be going back to the North.

Steve

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
We live in Oswestry so North wales is on our doorstep & its not very often we go elsewhere.

Llangollen is just a few miles up the road, Betws-y-Coed isnt much more & the Snowdonia national park is breath taking.

We love the Barmouth area, although the roads are tight when towing, personnally we go to the Dyffryn site in Talybont just up from Barmouth, actually its right at the end of the old Llanbedr airfield but I remember going there when I was a kid & the airstrip was still RAF active, no worries now though as its in private hands & you dont see many planes.

Brilliant beaches if thats what your after or a short drive to do any sightseeing.

Greg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts