nose down

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I hit a speed bump in France at low speed but didn't notice the crack in the A frame cover until I got home !!

My point is that it should be possible with 2 sets of holes to have one set to enable the tow ball to be at the EEC directive max and one set at the EEC directive minimum thus giving the OP and myself among others the option of using the higher one and avoiding damage

For me it would be a good selling point for the towbar

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If one is given the option of two positions, including one at bottom tolerance, as specified by the standards, then the outfit must be suitable for use in that position, too. If problems arise, then there would be little point in offering a lower pair of holes.

Besides, it is doubtful whether most owners would ever bother to check whether they are within tolerance. Assuming, for example, the top set of holes ensures an ideal towball height when the car is fully laden and the same car is later used to tow in a more or less unladen condition, then the towball would be out of tolerance unless the owner bothered to relocate the towball.

If towball height is of such concern, then the only sensible solution is a car with self levelling suspension.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
You can overcome the problem of hitting speed bumps with your jockey wheel, just by changing it to one of these type of jockey wheels i put one on my van for the very same reason before i manage to hit one and caused some damage, they just seem to be making them bigger these days...

It takes less than two mins to remove the wheel & handle, & the same to put them back on.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If one is given the option of two positions, including one at bottom tolerance, as specified by the standards, then the outfit must be suitable for use in that position, too. If problems arise, then there would be little point in offering a lower pair of holes.

Besides, it is doubtful whether most owners would ever bother to check whether they are within tolerance. Assuming, for example, the top set of holes ensures an ideal towball height when the car is fully laden and the same car is later used to tow in a more or less unladen condition, then the towball would be out of tolerance unless the owner bothered to relocate the towball.

If towball height is of such concern, then the only sensible solution is a car with self levelling suspension.
Could you recommend one as we are thinking of changing the car

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

As you don't say what size of caravan you will be towing, it's difficult to make a recommendation, but most car manufacturers offer self-levelling suspension systems, at least on their top-of-the-line models, either as a standard fitting or as a regular production option. I'd choose the car I like first and then ask my dealer whether it is available with self-levelling suspension.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts