nose weight and loading

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, to get the right nose weight for my swift Dannette caravan I have to load the heaver items just rear of the axle and the lighter items (plastic chairs ete) at the back of the van I also have to take the gas bottles out of the front locker and place them near the back. The front end of the van is empty with the exception of the leisure battery under the front seat.

The stability of the caravan is perfect like this and unless it's windy or I'm travelling long distance on motorways I don't need to use a stabilizer. Most books or internet sites say you should place them slightly to the front but if I do this the nose weight rockets.

Has any one else experienced this before? Any comments will be most welcome

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There have been several threads in this forum regarding caravans which are nose heavy in the unladen condition. It seems that a number of caravan manufacturers didn't do their homework properly but the solution you have found to your problem is the right one.

As the recommendations correctly say, loading just ahead of the axle is ideal but if this doesn't allow you to get the noseweight right, you just have to apply the second best alternative.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There have been several threads in this forum regarding caravans which are nose heavy in the unladen condition. It seems that a number of caravan manufacturers didn't do their homework properly but the solution you have found to your problem is the right one.

As the recommendations correctly say, loading just ahead of the axle is ideal but if this doesn't allow you to get the noseweight right, you just have to apply the second best alternative.
I wouldn't move the gas bottles though. The front locker is the only really safe place for them and they should stay there, if at all possible. Otherwise, you must ensure that they are well secured. (In some European countries thay MUST be left in the locker provided.)

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Baldylocks,

I have a similar situation with my Abbey Freestyle 470. When I first bought the van a few months ago I loaded it as I had my old Bailey Beachcomber. I as shocked to find that the noseweight was 110kg!!!

My car (Omege 2.2estate)has a max of 75kg so I had to rearrange how I load the van. Like you I have found that most of the stuff goes either on axel or just behind, the lighter stuff going in the end bathroom. With this careful loading and lots of stuff (including awning) in the back of the car I have managed to get the noseweight down to 70kg. However this is with only one gas bottle in the front locker NOTHING ELSE.

As someone comparatively new (3years experience). I do worry that I load in this way, I'm anxious that I'm not doing my car any good. Though it tows like a dream. I love my Omega and I don't really want to change it, but I do wonder if I should look for something that will take more noseweight.

Trisha

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I too have had difficulties getting my noseweight down to a required 75kgs, but have solved the problem with strategic loading on the axle. I find that the battery and gas cylinder are the weightiest problems, together accounting for about 40 kilos on the front! I am looking forward to getting BP's new plastic gas cylinders which are apparently half the weight, and the smaller 5k size, when it is available, will suit me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would NEVER back load a caravan to get the nose weight down. It may tow OK in normal conditions without a stabiliser, but if the van does wag its tail then you could find that it acts like a pendulum, at this point there is not a lot you can do. Try fitting an underslung spare wheel carrier as this makes a considerable difference to nose weight , also try keeping heavy items to as near the axle as possible and at floor level. You may consider transferring some heavy items to the car. It is surprising how you can reduce the nose weight by good loading of the van, although it may take some time to find the ideal senario.

There are mixed views on stabilisers, but they are like seat belts and airbags, hopefully you wont have to use them but they are there to help, talk to anyone who has had the misfortune to have a van snake it is clean pair of trousers job.

I have been towing for nearly 20 years and wouldnt consider talking the van out ( even a short distance to the dealers) without a stabilizer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts