Nose weight and pitching

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
We are new to caravanning, having bought our 2017 Bailey Pegasus Genoa 4 just a few weeks ago. Our tow car is a VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel. The target nose weight according to Towsafe is between 63 to 89 kg (5% - 7%) but on our first short trip last week I was only able to get up to just under 70kg. It was my first time towing and I did not feel secure with the drive - I think the van was pitching - tugging and pushing at the car. Is that a normal feeling or do I need to sort the nose weight out?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We are new to caravanning, having bought our 2017 Bailey Pegasus Genoa 4 just a few weeks ago. Our tow car is a VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel. The target nose weight according to Towsafe is between 63 to 89 kg (5% - 7%) but on our first short trip last week I was only able to get up to just under 70kg. It was my first time towing and I did not feel secure with the drive - I think the van was pitching - tugging and pushing at the car. Is that a normal feeling or do I need to sort the nose weight out?
What's the noseweight limit of the car? I always advocate using the heaviest noseweight possible that's within both the caravan hitch limit and the car noseweight limit - so if you can increase the noseweight by moving things forward you may get a smoother ride.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You will feel the caravan but it’s something you get used to. Were the car tyres set to towing pressure. Was stabiliser firmly down Puzzled as to why you could not get the noseweight higher. What did you have in your front locker. My last caravan was nose heavy when unladen and I had to place luggage towards the rear but it still towed okay.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
What did you have in your front locker
Ther is no front locker on a Bailey of that age
It was my first time towing and I did not feel secure with the drive - I think the van was pitching - tugging and pushing at the car. Is that a normal feeling or do I need to sort the nose weight out?
Used to tow a twin axle Bailey with out Tiguan, never felt unsafe. I think you need to get the noseweight and loading of your caravan sorted and get used to towing. The car will feel and handle very differently but experience over time will help you feel more comfortable

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are not used to towing you might easily mistake the sensation of the caravan pushing and pulling due to braking and accelerating but that is not necessarily pitching.

I would be surprised if 70Kg is too low, but a little more wold do no harm, so I suspect your just experiencing the action of the override braking system.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
If new to towing watch those tight corners, not so much on road but in carparks, petrol stations and campgrounds. If you don't give enough clearance van can hit object eg pole you are going around. Take it slow and watch van in wing mirror.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Check to see what weight you have put behind the axle. If you are carrying an awning in the caravan, move it forward of the axle. If you have a rear toilet, make sure the flush tank is almost empty, ( just enough for an emergency pit stop ) the EHU cable. Can weigh maybe 3 kg. Put that as far forward as possible.
If possible load the middle, of the car with heavy items, on the floor behind the front seats, rather than the boot of the car. ie, Bottles of soft drinks, cool box , car/caravan tool box. BBQ. Or if like us Mobility scooter battery.
This will help to slow down the pitching.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If new to towing watch those tight corners, not so much on road but in carparks, petrol stations and campgrounds. If you don't give enough clearance van can hit object eg pole you are going around. Take it slow and watch van in wing mirror.
I don't think the OP has a problem with manoeuvring, his post was about towing characteristics.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given the VW is rated by most as an excellent tow car I do wonder if there is something else wrong. I would agree that checking the tyre pressures should be the first thing but loading might also be a problem. Do check that any heavy items like awnings are stowed low down in the middle of the caravan or towards the front and generally only light things are stored in the lockers.
Possibly too much weight in the boot could make the front wheels too light although that is unlikely. If there are only two f you things in the car can be stored between the seats to balance this.
The damper in the hitch might be faulty. Check that this recovers if the hitch is pushed in.
You do get some pushing and tugging but it should not be serious so if it is get it checked out, but the main problem is if the caravan is not stable and swaying with the effect of side winds and passing traffic. If that is not a problem then the outfit should be safe enough but if after the next trip you are not happy get it checked.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I have always been very mindful of nose weight, tyre pressures and weight distribution but even so at the start of every trip there is always a bit of tugging and pitching.
After a few miles these sensations just seem to fade away, I don't know if I just get used to it or the senses just fade them out, either way unless I have made a serious error somewhere the van tows like a dream.
I tow with a 2 litre Ateca which is built on the tiguan platform

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Given the VW is rated by most as an excellent tow car I do wonder if there is something else wrong. ....
Possibly too much weight in the boot could make the front wheels too light although that is unlikely...
Bearing in mind the design of the Tiguan, the rear overhang is so very small. It would be incredibly difficult to load anything into the luggage area that provide enough adverse leverage to make the the load on the front axle become noticeably any lighter.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
To keep the van weight down, the heavy air awning and anything else of any bulk (and that is a lot) all go in the car which has the same small rear overhang as the Tiguan. It has never made the steering light. I consider the small overhang a benefit when maneuvering
so completely agree with the prof.

Oct 3, 2023
Visit site
Hi we have a Bailey Phoenix 420 which is a small van.
Due to its design. we have to load everything up front on or near the center drawer. awning chairs clothes, etc and we make sure we have the heater unit filled with water, we can fine-tune with water ballast in the water barrel to get to around75kg nose weight, Without this lot the van tips up when using the motor mover
we also tow with a Tiguan 2.00 diesel which gives a good controlled tow.
hope this helps a little

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Due to its design. we have to load everything up front on or near the center drawer. awning chairs clothes, etc and we make sure we have the heater unit filled with water...
Its not advised to travel with the water heater filled with water. The mass of the water can impose unreasonable forces on parts of the heater and might damage it. You would be better filling a 10L water container and securing it inside the the caravan, or on the a frame or in the front locker.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Its not advised to travel with the water heater filled with water. The mass of the water can impose unreasonable forces on parts of the heater and might damage it. You would be better filling a 10L water container and securing it inside the the caravan, or on the a frame or in the front locker.
As per my posting #7.

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
What's the noseweight limit of the car? I always advocate using the heaviest noseweight possible that's within both the caravan hitch limit and the car noseweight limit - so if you can increase the noseweight by moving things forward you may get a smoother ride.
The car max noseweight is 100 kg, as is the tow bar. Tried moving things forward, but we didn’t have very much with us. Even the awning is pretty light. And then I’ve read you shouldn’t move stuff too far forward.

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
You will feel the caravan but it’s something you get used to. Were the car tyres set to towing pressure. Was stabiliser firmly down Puzzled as to why you could not get the noseweight higher. What did you have in your front locker. My last caravan was nose heavy when unladen and I had to place luggage towards the rear but it still towed okay.
Thank you. Our van is a Bailey and doesn’t have a front locker. How important is it to measure noseweight on level ground?

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Due to its design. we have to load everything up front on or near the center drawer. awning chairs clothes, etc and we make sure we have the heater unit filled with water, we can fine-tune with water ballast in the water barrel to get to around75kg nose weight, Without this lot the van tips up when using the motor mover
we also tow with a Tiguan 2.00 diesel which gives a good controlled tow.
hope this helps a little
Thanks. Glad to hear the Tiguan 2 litre diesel is good. The reviews I’ve seen all seem to focus on higher spec models. I’m going to measure the noseweight again, but on level ground this time. I’ll try the water canister idea too.

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
I have always been very mindful of nose weight, tyre pressures and weight distribution but even so at the start of every trip there is always a bit of tugging and pitching.
After a few miles these sensations just seem to fade away, I don't know if I just get used to it or the senses just fade them out, either way unless I have made a serious error somewhere the van tows like a dream.
I tow with a 2 litre Ateca which is built on the tiguan platform
Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Given the VW is rated by most as an excellent tow car I do wonder if there is something else wrong. I would agree that checking the tyre pressures should be the first thing but loading might also be a problem. Do check that any heavy items like awnings are stowed low down in the middle of the caravan or towards the front and generally only light things are stored in the lockers.
Possibly too much weight in the boot could make the front wheels too light although that is unlikely. If there are only two f you things in the car can be stored between the seats to balance this.
The damper in the hitch might be faulty. Check that this recovers if the hitch is pushed in.
You do get some pushing and tugging but it should not be serious so if it is get it checked out, but the main problem is if the caravan is not stable and swaying with the effect of side winds and passing traffic. If that is not a problem then the outfit should be safe enough but if after the next trip you are not happy get it checked.
Okay thanks. Very helpful!

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
It’s not advised to travel with the water heater filled with water. The mass of the water can impose unreasonable forces on parts of the heater and might damage it. You would be better filling a 10L water container and securing it inside the the caravan, or on the a frame or in the front locker.
Thanks. I’m going to try the water canister idea.

Reactions: trevormonty
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you. Our van is a Bailey and doesn’t have a front locker. How important is it to measure noseweight on level ground?
The noseweight has to be measured on level ground. Ideally with the hitch at the height it would be when connected to the laden car. But I do say ideally as after a few trips you get a feel for the outfit and can make adjustments as required. As it’s stated that the car can take 100kg, and I expect that to be the caravans limit too, you have plenty of scope for a higher noseweight than the 5-7% guidance. If you search the Forum you will find numerous views on measuring noseweight. I always measured mine using bathroom scales for tge first measurement and compared that weight using Milenco gauge. Then subsequent measurement with the Milenco gauge after that. One experienced member uses a Reich electronic gauge that sits between the towball and hitch. It’s then removed for towing.

Also there’s no a problem in having weight forward in the caravan providing it doesn’t lead to excess noseweight.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Thank you. Very useful!

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
The noseweight has to be measured on level ground. If you search the Forum you will find numerous views on measuring noseweight. I always measured mine using bathroom scales for tge first measurement and compared that weight using Milenco gauge. Then subsequent measurement with the Milenco gauge after that. One experienced member uses a Reich electronic gauge that sits between the towball and hitch. Its then removed for towing.

Also there’s no a problem in having weight forward in the caravan providing it doesn’t lead to excess noseweight.
Thank you otherclive. That’s very helpful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts