Nose Weight Gauge- Remarkable

May 27, 2007
Visit site
I've read much discussion on nose weight and the importance of it through this forum, but never paid much attention. However when i explained to a good friend of mine how much I was suffering towing particularly when lorries and vans were overtaking he suggested my nose weight may bae factor.

We set about using his nose weight gauge and found that the front of the van was very heavy. Incredible I couldn't beleive it especially when we looked at what was in the front locker that had built up over the few years, usual stuff you would throw in.

Folks it is essential and how I was surprise at this, its well worth looking at this as I found out

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
ally, is this a wind up? What is remarkable is not that your van was nose heavy and therefore dangerous and illegal, but that over a "few years", you had never bothered to check it!! Other remarkable things that you also may not have bothered to check are your tyre pressures and wheel nuts.

mel

May 27, 2007
Visit site
You're a bit out of order, we all learn from experience and those with experience that pass on their knowledge.

You take onboard advice when you are given it as I did, many caravanners learn from each other I certainly did, thats the point of a forum

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Presumably you've paid attention to the suitability and towing capabilities of your car, the mtplm of your 'van, tyre pressures of your car and van.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
It is a bit harsh to have a go at ally(hopefully this is not a windup, but then i'm easy)

I had a neighbour who did nothing but load his van up and put it onto the car and drive off. He has never had a problem.

He use to have a smug smile on his face watching me check the nose weight, pump up the tyres, check the lights. A great chap otherwise.

My point is ally may well be the majority, at least he is willing to learn. And we should all be encourage to ask questions.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I rather fear that there are a lot of people out there that never check anything, my brother in law for one. Despite my constant nagging, he never checks anything at all, his van has never been serviced since he bought it. He had a real big smile on his face when I told him we had broken down in France, this despite the fact that the car is less than 3 years old and had been serviced by dealer 3 days before.

Steve W

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
We recently took delivery of our new pride and joy (2007 bailey Senator Wyoming) and towing it home from the dealer, it towed really smooth and we experienced no problems. In preparing for our first trip, I wanted to check the noseweight to see how I should pack the van with its "additionals" (awning,dog food etc).

Knowing that my X trail has a max towball weight of 100Kg, we concluded that as the towing ratio between car and van was quite high, we would put the heavy stuff in the back of the x-trail.

I was horified to find the unladen nose weight was 120Kg. Change of plan then, everything went in the rear bathroom, which brought the noseweight down to 92Kg (the best I could achieve). We then set off and had no problems.

Please, please check and don't become complacent!!

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You're a bit out of order, we all learn from experience and those with experience that pass on their knowledge.

You take onboard advice when you are given it as I did, many caravanners learn from each other I certainly did, thats the point of a forum
it sounds as if you took onboard more than advice.LOLOLOL

G

So Ally and others hit the road without checking out or bothering to find out about safe practice and then Ally's put out about responses here ;(

Do people not realise that if you tow with no knowlege of safety you may end up dead or broke or you may even kill someone else!

I'm not a fan of Milenco, but I must say their new Precision Noseweight Gauge has been a revelation. Our old gauge was quite a way out (up to 130 nose weight for us so not a prob) and we've proven that using bathroom scales can be very hit and miss.

Personally, I can never remember seeing bathroom scales used on site, I guess that those that use them guess about noseweight after leaving home.

G

Without trying to muddy any waters I can merely state there are issues on both sides. There's diplomacy for you.

It is indeed shortsighted, if not worse to embark on any new operation without trying to find out as much as you can about it first. John Wickersham has written an excellent book called 'The Caravan Manual' which explains everything in very simple language. I still refer to it after 30 years of caravanning. It seems silly to me to spend thousands of pounds on an outfit and not spend a few pounds on the 'book'. By the way, John, if you could see to slipping me some royalties for advertising your book, it would be appreciated. The Forum is also good for information but Hey, we are not here to save anyone not doing their own groundwork, plus the accuracy of whta you hear on the Forum cannot be guaranteed.

However, I also do not see the need to check everything as rigorously as mentioned by Euro. He is correct, but I feel there are other ways you can at least get a good 'feel' of what your outfit is telling you. There is the old way by which you lift the A Frame at the point just behing the hitch. An average male in normal condition should be able to lift 70 kgs and yes, you will know it. So, if you cannot move it at all, then check further. Please do not put out your back trying this one if you have problems there. I also look at the jockey wheel as I have a pneumatic tyre. If it is bulging excessively then i know something is not right. I also look at the outfit once hitched up. Is the back of the car down at heel, or riding level? I usually push down on the hitch to see whether the load is excessive, or if the suspension has a problem. I also have checked with a gauge and reckon that if I do not change what is in the front locker then things should remain fairly consistent on a trip. I also have a slight advantage on most of you. I have a EU van with a longer A Frame so i have a little extra weight allowance to play with to keep within the nose weight. Why the UK manufacturer's refuse to follow suit I do not know as it is obvious some vans have severe problems in this area. It also makes the van tow better as advised by the German Authorities, so who am I to argue.

Talking about front lockers and the items (OK,crap) that many people seem to put in there, why do the UK manufacturer's still insist on making such a small access hatch? Invariably you see a poor soul trying to get gas bottle into an opening that is narrow in width and also high off the ground with a large lip. He/she also has to try and get the support strut to catch to hold the hatch open. With all that hidden space no wonder things get 'lost' in there. A nice full width hatch with a gas strut that holds the hatch open at a high angle, and a lip of no more than 1 inch is wonderful, and you can clearly see what you have 'squirrelled' away, so can remove the excess. Yes, you guessed correct. Again the EU vans often have these.

Again, to diverge slightly if a van has an excessive noseweight what can one say about the general total weight of such an outfit? In my industry we had pads for taking load wieghts. I always wondered why no one had made one that you clould drive each van wheel onto, and it would give you the weight. Add both and you have your total weight. Even if it is within 10% accuracy that is better than nothing.

G

Think you have the wrong end of the stick Scotchlad.

We seem to have some that would hit the road without checking what's safe practice.

We have others who bang on about how difficult it is to meet their noseweights.

We always have the same gear in the caravan and have more leeway noseweight wise than others.

I would be the last vanner to faff and prat around for an age, for those who struggle with noseweight I thing the new more accurate Milenco gauge is a good way to start or check that you are actually where you thought you were with noseweight rather than start with inacuracy or believe that an old gauge or set of cheap bathroom scales are anywhere near correct.

Some will be surprised to find that the old spring gauge will be far more than 10% out.

You can use computerised corner pad scales to weigh a caravan, but I've never known of caravan dealers using them and they are very expensive to buy.

G

I agree load cells are expensive, but as with many things if enough people want them, then competition usually drives down the price. Plus I am sure some whizzkid somewhere would sooner or later come up with a cheaper version technically.

We have tools nowadays that 10 years ago we would never have thought possible.

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Scotch Lad,

re your comments on "low at heel" tow cars, I checked my nose weight (70KG) and checked the weight of my van etc on a public weigh bridge, with the van coming out, laden as we normally would, at 1320KG, my car having a tow limit of 1500kg, and still it sits low, as do quite a lot of newer vans I see being towed.

Is this an optical illusion, as the back end seem to be made with an upward slope,or are we all doing something wrong.

These are not cheeky questions, just observations, and am looking an explination.,

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What do you mean by "....my car having a tow limit of 1500kg, and still it sits low, ...."? Is it too low, i.e. is the towball below the minimum regulation height of 350mm to its centre?

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
What do you mean by "....my car having a tow limit of 1500kg, and still it sits low, ...."? Is it too low, i.e. is the towball below the minimum regulation height of 350mm to its centre?
Double check your nose weight device. On my last years Elddis, the built in guage reads 75kg when the bathroom scales read 50kg.

G

You may need to look at your rear suspension. Although manufacturer's do give towing/nose weight limits, they are like evrything else, often a bit arbitrary for every car. Usually the normal shockers fitted are designed for normal use and fitting Nivomat shockers, or equivalent will allow for the tow car to self level when towing. I am not suggesting the manufactuers are diddling you, it is just they design the car for what they think is its primary use. For example the estate version of many cars will tow more level, for this reason as they are designed for carrying heavy loads more often.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
anthony

You are correct, my tow bar sits lower on my new xtrail, the van is now nose down towing, the previous xtrail towed level.

Both have witter towbars, but the latest one measures lower to the ground.

TRENDING THREADS