Nose weight query.

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Im sure its a question thats been asked a hundred times, but Im somewhat confused by the correct nose weight to use.

Our caravan is a Compass Omega 400 (dry weight is about 850kgs I believe) and our car is a 2003 VW Touran 1.9 TDi.

The handbook of the VW says that it can tow upto 1500kgs pr 1800kgs depending on gradient, and that the maximum weight to be applied to the ball is 75kgs.

Now am I right in saying that if I lay our load out in the van correctly (over the axle etc) and weigh the nose of the 'van at the towing height on some bathroom scales, that I should be aiming for 75kgs? Do I need to be as near to it as possible? Should I put no weight at all in the rear? If when Im all packed up, and the nose weight is light, should I move some weight forward to correct it?

Were also looking at changing our van soon from the 13' we have to around 17'. Assuming the weights of the new 'van are within the cars range, will I notice a great deal of difference just because of the extra length?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Philip, you need some noseweight otherwise the van can become unstable. I have heard figures of a minimum 25kg or 4% of the van MPTLM.

The heavier the nose weight, within the limits of the tow car, hitch etc, the better. In your particular case you should aim for 70 kg or thereabouts, but not in excess of 75kg.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Philip,

Ray gave you a good start on this.

You need to measure the noseweight of your van with the van in the same position as it will be when towing. That means you will need someway to support the scales at the right height under the tow coupling, but this could get a bit iffy and unsafe.

Probably the best thing is to buy a plastic spring balance nose weight scale. These small yellow things are about 5" tall, slip on top of the car tow ball, and then lower the van coupling. And you can take this with you.

I can't remember if the lower limit is 25kg or 30kg, but as you increase the nose weight the stability increases, but don't exceed the maximum nose weight for your car or for your van.

Will the extra length make a difference? Well the air inside the bigger van won't weigh too much, but the extra wood and plastic will, and you will get additional frictional air drag from the longer length. From the extra length, not really other than the van's a bit heavier and more prone to disturbance by side wind.

But the biggest difference will come from any changes the manufacturer has made to the front profile. Will the new van have a more laid-back front? Is the join at the top of the front a hard edge or a smooth slope? Is the frontal area different? All or any of these changes will make a big difference for better or worse.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Philip,

Ray gave you a good start on this.

You need to measure the noseweight of your van with the van in the same position as it will be when towing. That means you will need someway to support the scales at the right height under the tow coupling, but this could get a bit iffy and unsafe.

Probably the best thing is to buy a plastic spring balance nose weight scale. These small yellow things are about 5" tall, slip on top of the car tow ball, and then lower the van coupling. And you can take this with you.

I can't remember if the lower limit is 25kg or 30kg, but as you increase the nose weight the stability increases, but don't exceed the maximum nose weight for your car or for your van.

Will the extra length make a difference? Well the air inside the bigger van won't weigh too much, but the extra wood and plastic will, and you will get additional frictional air drag from the longer length. From the extra length, not really other than the van's a bit heavier and more prone to disturbance by side wind.

But the biggest difference will come from any changes the manufacturer has made to the front profile. Will the new van have a more laid-back front? Is the join at the top of the front a hard edge or a smooth slope? Is the frontal area different? All or any of these changes will make a big difference for better or worse.

Robert
Just don't forget that the 75kg max. noseweight applies regardless of whether the caravan is loaded or empty, so load it accordingly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts