I have a Mondeo LX 2.0 TDCI, 2003 and max nose weight is 75kgs, and a 1992 Elddis Mistral XL, ex works the nose weight was 40kgs, but using bathroom scales and a piece of wood, the nose weight is 100kgs. I only have two 7kgs gas bottles4 small blocks of wood and a windbreak in the locker, the spare wheel is in the van at the back.

How can I get this wieght down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were completely knew to caravanning but were told off many experienced 'vanners not to rely on wood/scales due to the inaccuracy. We therefore purchased a fully calibrated nose gauge, although we had to order as no-one had any in stock.

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To measure noseweight accurately, you also need a spirit level or something similar to ensure that the caravan is standing absolutely level. Difference in attitude can make a lot of difference in noseweight. However, having said that, the only way you can trim the weight distribution to get the noseweight to where it should be is to use some sort of (well secured) ballast weight at the opposite end as a counterbalance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard, when you load your van, make sure the heavy objects are stowed slightly behind the axle line. Using the awning is a good way to change the balance, this sits on the floor and if you can wedge it in, say between the kitchen and bathroom, all the better. The awning is not likely to move during your journey, and anything else you take with you that's a little on the heavy side can be stored that way. Pay particular attention to whatever lives under your front seats, storing items here can cause heavy nose weights. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To measure noseweight accurately, you also need a spirit level or something similar to ensure that the caravan is standing absolutely level. Difference in attitude can make a lot of difference in noseweight. However, having said that, the only way you can trim the weight distribution to get the noseweight to where it should be is to use some sort of (well secured) ballast weight at the opposite end as a counterbalance.
I must revise my statement above slightly. To be 100% correct, noseweight should be measured with the coupling at the same height as when the caravan is hitched up to the car. The caravan may or may not be absolutely level in this condition.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard,

I have the same car and esxperienced the same problems as youself. Nose weight must be measured from level ground to 17 inches (43cm)to the centre of the towball.

I now use a Towsure nose weight controller that fits on the tow ball and you can read the force you are putting on to the car directly. You remove the controller when you are happy with the setup.

Hope this helps,

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Where did you get that figure of 17" from, Pop? To be absolutely correct, the noseweight should be measured at the same height as if the caravan were hitched up to the car, whatever that height is. If the car is fully laden (i.e. including the effect of the noseweight acting on the towbar), then the centre of the towball should be between 350mm and 420mm (13.75" to 16.5") above the ground.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts