Number Plates

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
WE just changed car and our V5 hasn't arrived yet. We want to get out as soon as possible but can't get a new number plate for the caravan until it arrives.

My question is can I remove the rear number plate from the car and put that on the caravan while they are hitched together?

I know you can't obscure the number plate (or rear lights) on the car with cycle racks etc. but you can if there is a caravan behind it, suggesting that if there is a caravan then the number plate and lights on the car don't matter.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rob, I had a number plate made up using just the little slip you are given when you're the new owner and my drivers licence, shouldn't be a problem or as already said, ebay

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I think most car accessory shops have the facilities do issue number plates.

My local one does but they require the V5,insurance certificate,MOT and proof of address.

As already stated,the little tear off portion of the V5 should be sufficient.

Adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

Go to a trailer centre or car accessory shop and ask for a stick on reflective(Oblong Yellow) and your required digits. As caravans and trailers are not taxable units they are not covered by the same laws as motor vehicle number plates in respect of purchase,but for identity of the towing vehicle in the U.K, so you do not require the slip,V5 or proof of identity as they are not making up the plate.

Von Ryan

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
When I had this problem I used the largest type size I have on the computer and printed off onto yellow paper then stuck them onto the existing number plate. Needs some rainproofing. The worst problem was removing the old plate from the 'van. Gentle heat from a hairdryer then thin wire slid behind the old plate eventually did the trick. (Using a hairdryer on your 'van earns you some funny looks though.)

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i made one for a mate got the yellow sticker and didgets from a1 motorist the caravan does not need a mot so its ok the yellow is reflector type.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
We got our new (to us) car last week and have a similar problem, I took the small slip from the bottom on the V5 showing my details as new owner, and my photo driving licence to Halfords and they made my rear plate no problem.

Apparantly the slip has to be less than 2 months old to allow them to do it.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
so long as your number plate complies with the relevant BS and if it does the plate must show the standard then i suppose you could make your own. The numbers/ characters must be of the prescribed font,size and spacing and the background must be the correct reflective yellow.

However unless the number plate carries a makers name and the BS then it can not be used on your car and would be illegal. To obtain a legal plate you need to prove owner ship of your vehicle.

This is supposed to reduce the possibility of cloning.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Yes you can use the car one on the caravan and not have a plate on the car when you are towing. Or as others have said you can buy the sticker type and make up your own. Just remember to put the rear plate back on the car!

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Wow.

Thanks for the terriffic response. Loads of great information.

I really thought stickers for numberplates had become unavailable when the rules came in about having to have V5 and ID to have plates made up. However I know "Showplates" identical to "real" number plates are readily available from our local Sunday Market. Makes a mockery of the law a bit doesn't it.

We did get car from a dealer so we don't have a green strip but a quick phone call to them and they are happy to help!!! Result!

Thanks again everyone who posted.

Rob

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Actually, Just out of interest. I wonder if my hypothesis on my original post is right?

And to go a bit further. If you had a light cluster smashed on your car could you continue by hitching a caravan on as at the rear of the outfit there would be correct lighting? (Provided the towing electrics hadn't been damaged).

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Now that is a interesting question, all I know is my fog light on my car does not work when towing. You need someone on here to know the regs for the correct answer.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like you've got a fog light cut out 12N socket, this is a special type of plug that does cut out the cars fog lights when towing so they don't dazzle the driver through the rear view mirror whilst they're on and towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

Further to your posting.

A front or rear reflective number plate must confirm to the standards set by the DVLA and the RTA. Firstly a bit of yellow paper printed off the computer will not conform(Sorry Mike J E) the plate or reflective must conform to BSau113d. Which dictates the area size of the refective background and the size and spacing of the digits. I know if you put the digits at a reasonable spacing as you see on any normal number plate the chances of you being pulled by the police are few and far between. But if you use a non refective background without the relative BS number and correctly spaced digits you are leaving yourself open to trouble. I know there are certain groups who don't bother with plates at all(along with TAX) or a scribbled piece of cardboard, but by complying with the relevent standards and law will see you complying to all practicable requirements.

I hope this is of help

Von Ryan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Just a quick revision to my previous post.The latest standards are to BSau145d, the diffirence is minimal relating to dealership post code and identifier, But the same standard in respect of background size,digit size and reflectance still apply to trailer number plates.

Von Ryan

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Ihad tihs problem in January of this year. I purchased my new car (second hand) from a dealer and I asked him for a second number plate especially for our caravan. There was no problem and in fact the salesman could not have been more helpful. He even threw in a "two down to one" electrical connector unasked.

As our 'van was due for its annual service I risked putting a cardboard "number plate" in the back window of it and then took it to our caravan dealer, who changed the old one for the new one as part of the service, free of charge.

Michael - Derbyshire

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Von Ryan,

I agree a bit of printed yellow paper "would not conform" but then neither do scribbled bits of cardboard stuck in the rear window. My temporary fix at least worked till I could get the proper plate without the problem of removing and replacing the rear car plate. Mind you having seen the amount of 'vans, trailers and some cars freely going about the roads with scribbled cards or even no plates at all I wonder why the law abiding amongst us bother at all.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Rather the point I was trying to make. Little chance of being caught and certainly less than with a scribbled card wedged in the window.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
I've just received two rear number plates, one normal size and one square for my trailer. Ordered from a guy on ebay, "lenny7g" or their website is www.uknumberplates.com

never asked about V5, plates have makers name and BS code on them.

Ps. I'm not connected to this website, this is the second time I've used them now, good service, so thought I would recomend them.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
then the trader should be reported. The only legal way to obtain a legal number plate is by presenting your proof of ownership.

I have forwarded the web address to the dvla.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
the plates he sells conform to materials only and would probably pass an MOT inspection,but as i posted they are not allowed to sell full legal number plates unless you present proof of ownership.

The sites does not state that the plates are legal,only that they would pass an MOT and that the materials used conform.

The next time you moan about law breakers .....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts