NW Scotland - advice please

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Have only visited Scotland once in September/October and it was lovely apart from the rain, but no need to book sites etc.
This year we fancy going right to the top, from mid April to mid May, but this of course includes Easter and the Royal Wedding.
Several questions then - do we need to plan and book sites (new experience for me as when we are abroad we just go as we please) if we intend to be right up north during the Easter-Wedding period.
Secondly- if we go to Ardmair (Ullapool) and then to Scourie is the A835/A837/A894 road OK as there are several steep hills marked (I have towed quite a bit in Europe and have never worried about steep hills but on single track as well?)
Nextly - is the A894/A838 Scourie to Tongue road OK, and then along the North coast to CC site at Dunnet Bay?
Lastly - is it worth going to the CC site near Altnarra, or should I go round the outside? I would like to come back down the A9 as I did JOG-Lands End on a pushbike about 30 years ago.
All advice gratefully received - many thanks in advance and have a Great New Year.
Pete

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Baroness Wendy is a regular at Altnarra but I believe she's staying with her relatives at Sandringham over the holiday period. I'm sure she'll fill you in with the details regarding this site. Morvich/Mallaig is the furthest north I've been on the west side although I've been to Dunnet Bay from the A9.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi pete.
done that route a few times and usually in early may erm (because of the midges) I tow with a megane so it it not the most powerful of towcars but not had any real problems with hills on route there is one hill that I would not attept however its off your main route so not a problem really the biggest pitfall touring on single track roads is not the width overall as most of the roads have good wide margins "umlike the ones in devon with walls either side" if you know what I mean it is the locals and the dutch who dont seem to know how to reverse and go pased a passing place instead of stopping think ahead and stop early and you will be fine .
as for booking as of yet we have never been turned away from any site that was full even on mayday w/end but it is allways worth a phone call before changing sites to make sure.
hope this helps
colin

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I am currently planning a route around the scottish highland coast for around that time. Provisionally we intend to start at Fort William (After travelling from Sheffield) and then to Skye, Gairloch, Ullapool, Durness, Thurso, Brora, Inverness, then back to Fort William. This route from Fort William to Fort William is about 600 miles. If anyone has done this route, or parts of it, any info or advice on sites, roads, or the route in general would be greatly appreciated. I have a Lunar Freelander 525L, a Rover75 diesel tourer, a wife and dog.

Regards, Kev.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi kev
just a thought why go back to fort william where you have been allready from inverness take the A9 down to pitlochry/edinboro and berwick call in at the farnes and seahouses and then go down the A1 or A19 back home.
colin

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pete and Kev
I've done the grand tour a number of times , last may in fact.
We went from Wiltshire to the Lakes , CC Troutbeck Head.
Then onto Edinburgh CC Marine Drive
CC Culloden Moor near Inverness
CC Dunnet Bay
Scourie Caravan park
Ardmair Point
CC Morvich
CC Maragowan
CC Troutbeck Head and back home.
Other years we have taken in Grummore near Altnahara on the shores of Loch Naver.If you haven't done it go there. No toilet block but that's why you have facilities in your own caravan.

Other tours have taken in North Ledaig and the Islands.
A word warning. If you think you can do all this in two weeks then good luck to you. Trips of this magnitude with all the hitching andn pitching need a good 4 weeks plus imo.
The roads were no problem at all nor was the access to any of the sites. There is a narrowinsh bridge to be crossed near Brora. No problem.
We booked all the CC sites in advance . just for peace of mind. You can book Ardmair Point but Scourie is a "just turn up". Plenty of space so if you are going in may or september should be no problem.
Scotland is a vast country with plenty to see and do.
Enjoy the trip.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Wiltshire Pete …… a couple of points to add.

Vector in to your planning the fact that fuel prices will be much higher and fuel stations in some parts few and far between. Keep an eye on the gauge.
The A9 today is completely different to the A9 of thirty years ago and often follows a completely different route.
It is still possible, and fun to follow much of the old route if you have time!

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks to those who have replied - we are going to take 4 weeks over this as it would be too much of a rush otherwise.
I think I will book some of the CC sites just to be on the safe side and then just busk the rest of it, can't wait.
Pete

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Would agree with colin/yorkshire why go back to Fortwilliam theres nothing there anyway. You would be better going down A9 to Dalcharm at Brora or Dingwall, avoid Grannies heilen hame at embo near dornoch at all costs you get ripped off big time there.
Once past Inverness there is a couple of good sites including forest sites.
I have lived in the Highlands for years and as an ex-fire officer have travelled all over the highland in all weathers.If your travelling in summer you should not have any trouble on the roads. Although if you decide to go across to Applecross avoid the hill road with a van take the longer route if you take the hillroad you will certainly regret it, its very twisty with numerous hairpins steep climbs,clouds come right down to the road very dangerous with a van the road is also single track.
You will not have any trouble with the natives on the west coast though very freindly people and very helpful. Be warned though ensure you carry extra fuel when in the west as not a lot of filling stations and the one at Durness for example never dealt with cards cash only.
Have a good trip.

Jim

May 27, 2007
Visit site
I'd suggest you travel up to Perth then North to Dalwhinnie before turning west for Fort William, Glasgow to Fort William up Loch Lomond has a 20 miles stretch of terrible road. I travel around these parts weekly. Up the A9 which is now a good road and across to FW. I'd recomend Staffin Campsite on Skye as a small family ran quiet site then Thurso Caravam Site. I stayed at Thurso last yaer, under new ownership and a nice site with very nice hosts.

A

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Can I suggest if you are going up to FW from south, go via Stirling, Callendar, going via Dalwhinnie is a very long way round, by the time you get to Dalwhinnie, you could almost be at FW

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts