Oh dear!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have been informed that our nephew has been involved in a head on collision last night. Apparently the other driver was an American on the wrong side of the road. The American's car is a total write off. Nephew works for RAC and was driving a breakdown vehicle which only sustained minor damage i.e. scratches to front bumper. He is otherwise okay although a bit shaken up. (y) :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have been informed that our nephew has been involved in a head on collision last night. Apparently the other driver was an American on the wrong side of the road. The American's car is a total write off. Nephew works for RAC and was driving a breakdown vehicle which only sustained minor damage i.e. scratches to front bumper. He is otherwise okay although a bit shaken up. (y) :)
Pleased he is OK how is the yank?

JOHN

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i hope your Nephew makes a full recovery and life returns for normal for him

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Sounds like he had a lucky escape. I used to commute to Essex from the Midlands every week and my journey took me along the A14 and M11 where I encountered a lot of American drivers, some of the driving standards were VERY different to what we're taught here!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Living, and working in an area with two cross Channel ferry ports (Poole, and in the past Weymouth) I encountered a fair few of this type of collision over the years.

Usually just outside of town where there are no street lights and traffic is very light. Foreign driver suddenly encounters a set of headlights coming round a bend in the road and instinctively veers onto their "correct" side of the road :eek:

Many UK drivers have done exactly the same just outside French channel ports.

I would never consider taking a ferry that gets me to France (or Spain) when it's dark, or nearly dark for exactly the reasons I have detailed above. I also try to avoid night time driving in Europe if at all possible.

In this scenario, with no-one (other than possibly the driver "at fault") suffering serious injuries then I would be exceedingly surprised if a prosecution results.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Living, and working in an area with two cross Channel ferry ports (Poole, and in the past Weymouth) I encountered a fair few of this type of collision over the years.

Usually just outside of town where there are no street lights and traffic is very light. Foreign driver suddenly encounters a set of headlights coming round a bend in the road and instinctively veers onto their "correct" side of the road :eek:

Many UK drivers have done exactly the same just outside French channel ports.

I would never consider taking a ferry that gets me to France (or Spain) when it's dark, or nearly dark for exactly the reasons I have detailed above. I also try to avoid night time driving in Europe if at all possible.

In this scenario, with no-one (other than possibly the driver "at fault") suffering serious injuries then I would be exceedingly surprised if a prosecution results.
We had a similar incident at Caen as we were leaving the La Bella campsite to catch the ferry back to Postsmouth.

A Brit driver who had just disembarked from the ferry was on the wrong side of the road and there were two or three other vehicles following him. I simply came to a standstill and flashed my lights. They all moved to the correct side of the road.

I carried on with our journey to the ferry travelling slower than usual. LOL!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts