Oh! sad am I!! Fiat Ducato with incompatible Ford Galaxy seats. No Auto Electric engineer will look at them, either.

Oct 6, 2022
Visit site
I have a 2012 Fiat Ducato MWB Minibus 22000Mls. Beautiful condition. I have had it converted to a motorhome.
I found an upholsterer of swivel seats unfortunately they are Ford Galaxy seats,

The issue now is that the seatbelt warning light is on, and a warning message of passenger airbag is flashing. I
I have also been advised that the only safe way is to have Fiat seats put back in. This will be a backward step when the ones I have are so good. Plus, it will cost a lot of money.
I am a single lady intending to take a friend with me on trips, but I can only do that if I am confident, I am taking her safely.
Someone sent me a thread to this: I wondered if this would work.
1665825034584.png

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I could guess what the picture is but quite honestly you are risking safety by asking questions on a vehicles key safety systems. As advised before you would be best refitting the original seats or trying to find a company that do such conversions that you are trying to make. Although the latter will probably be very difficult given liabilities etc if things go wrong.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The seatbelt warning will be generated by a simple switch in the seatbelt anchor. Hence your picture. The airbag is more complex. Perhaps there are airbags in one or other of the seats and now there is a mismatch. An auto electrician should be able to help.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think the system is not just checking the seat belt is fastened. There will be sensors in the seat to detect if anyone is sitting in it.

So for the warning lights to go out you need someone on the seat and the seat belt clicked home. Or nothing on the seat and the seat belt fastened or not.

I know from experience with my car that if I put some reasonably heavy shopping on the passenger seat the warning light will tell me I haven't fastened the seat belt.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Oct 6, 2022
Visit site
I have tried that, but it does not go out, I wondered if I tried it with a heavy man rather than me. I am not that heavy. I have not sone that. Nothing is plugged into the yellow plug though.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
So are you sure your new seats have wires coming out of them and connected into the car wiring harness usually under the seat?

Also could you be sure that this wiring if it exists is compatible with the Fiat wiring?

BTW,. it doesn't take much weight on the seat to indicate there's something on it. A bag of sugar or two is usually enough.

Oct 6, 2022
Visit site
So are you sure your new seats have wires coming out of them and connected into the car wiring harness usually under the seat?

Also could you be sure that this wiring if it exists is compatible with the Fiat wiring?

BTW,. it doesn't take much weight on the seat to indicate there's something on it. A bag of sugar or two is usually enough.
I have tried that, but it does not go out, I wondered if I tried it with a heavy man rather than me. I am not that heavy. I have not sone that. Nothing is plugged into the yellow plug though.
No, I have no way of knowing.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Look under the seat. You should see a cable coming down from under the seat cushion.

You also say you have nothing plugged into the yellow connector. Which connector is that...the one on the bit where the seat belt plugs into?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Replacing seats with others not approved by the vehicle manufacturer invalidates type approval on more than one issue. More likely than not the geometry is different and that not only affects airbag performance, as mentioned above, but also if the hip point has changed either in height or in the longitudinal direction so will the angles of vision through the windscreen and rear view mirrors. This could result in a real problem if one has had an accident and it could be proved that one oversaw something because one was sitting in a different position to what the manufacturer provided for in the seat layout design.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have the original Fiat seats could you re use them and if you want to , get them reupholstered to suit you, then try and sell the Ford ones.

Oct 6, 2022
Visit site
In the morning I will go and take pictures of the underneath. The seats are heated so they have those wires ging to a switch. I will picture them.

Oct 6, 2022
Visit site
Replacing seats with others not approved by the vehicle manufacturer invalidates type approval on more than one issue. More likely than not the geometry is different and that not only affects airbag performance, as mentioned above, but also if the hip point has changed either in height or in the longitudinal direction so will the angles of vision through the windscreen and rear view mirrors. This could result in a real problem if one has had an accident and it could be proved that one oversaw something because one was sitting in a different position to what the manufacturer provided for in the seat layout design.

These seats definitely gives, an even better view of the road, mirrors, and rear windows.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
These seats definitely gives, an even better view of the road, mirrors, and rear windows.
The trouble is that it’s not the subjective improvement that you have noticed, but it needs to be verified by the manufacturer in order to count. Fact is that it does amount to technical modification that has not been approved and that, in a strict sense, is illegal.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The vehicle will no longer be standard and there will be insurance hassles. Have you spoken to the vehicle insurance company and advised them of the modifications?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
People have been modifying vehicles for many years and while some things are illegal a good many are not. I may be wrong but I don't think anyone here is an expert in this respect. In my unqualified opinion I wouldn't rate changing the vehicle seats like you have as an illegal modification. Providing it's been done correctly and the result would still pass the Mot.

Since the spectre of legality has been raised it would be advisable to get independent advice on this. Certainly you would need to inform your insurance company and they may give you an indication that the mod is ok. You could also ask your local Mot centre what they think.

Be that as it may you still need to have a vehicle that will pass the Mot and with the current faults it won't.

So some things to consider...

1. You used the term upholsterer when you found the seats. Who actually fitted them because that would be a job for a mechanic who understands both the mechanical and electrical aspects of he job?

2. Did the old Fiat seats have air bags in them and do the new ones also have them? There is usually a tab on the top outside edge of the seat back that indicates this.

3. If both then can you be sure that the electrical connection is identical and connected

4. You mentioned no connection of the yellow connector. If this is the one in the picture then it would appear the vehicles electrical system would have no way of knowing that the seatbelt is fastened.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
People have been modifying vehicles for many years and while some things are illegal a good many are not. I may be wrong but I don't think anyone here is an expert in this respect. In my unqualified opinion I wouldn't rate changing the vehicle seats like you have as an illegal modification. Providing it's been done correctly and the result would still pass the Mot.

However you have to declare any modification including a towbar to an insurer and it is up to the insurer whether they want to insure you.

I would think that if there was an issue with the seat i.e. airbag there should be a warning light on the dashboard resulting in an instant MOT fail.

Also as there has been a change of class from mini bus to motorhome, the DVSA needs to be notified. I am not sure if it has to go for some sort of re-classification or compliance test to be reclassified?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

Since the spectre of legality has been raised it would be advisable to get independent advice on this. Certainly you would need to inform your insurance company and they may give you an indication that the mod is ok. You could also ask your local Mot centre what they think.

Anything that is subject to type approval would theoretically be illegal if it is modified in any way and seats are covered in legislation under various items in "The Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations". Seats and seat belts also fall within the scope of the MOT test.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts