Old DVDs etc

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a load of DVDs that are practically brand new as most we have only watched two or three times plus they are on a DVD bookshelf. With the exception of two or three DVD sets we are wondering if there is a market of these old DVDs. Not really looking to sell them but to get rid of them and the bookshelf that they are on to make some space. Most of the stuff we watch is streamed so no point in having DVDs. We have a similar issue with music CDs.
Do any charity shops or organisations take them and if so are any open? I guess we are not the only ones in this situation.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Normally see lots of them at car boot sales but don't think they are very popular now what with Netflix etc where you can watch almost anything at the click of a button.

As far as I know,charity shops are still closed at the moment.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a load of DVDs that are practically brand new as most we have only watched two or three times plus they are on a DVD bookshelf. With the exception of two or three DVD sets we are wondering if there is a market of these old DVDs. Not really looking to sell them but to get rid of them and the bookshelf that they are on to make some space. Most of the stuff we watch is streamed so no point in having DVDs. We have a similar issue with music CDs.
Do any charity shops or organisations take them and if so are any open? I guess we are not the only ones in this situation.
Charity shops will still sell dvd but not video tapes. The furniture could be collected by a charity if in good condition and sellable. Failing that Trash Nothing or Freecycle

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Being emptying the shelf. Keeping a couple back as we can use them in the caravan if we cannot get a signal.
Found a box of the complete collection of James Bond movies and also the complete collection of Laurel & Hardy whom some may remember. I think I inherited them from my Dad when he passed away a couple of years ago.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I use them as bird scarers same as RogerL, in the summer days it also gives a light show around the garden of the sun reflecting off them, the light show is brilliant but you have to tie them on so they don’t all end up in a huddle at one end.
BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Being emptying the shelf. Keeping a couple back as we can use them in the caravan if we cannot get a signal.
Found a box of the complete collection of James Bond movies and also the complete collection of Laurel & Hardy whom some may remember. I think I inherited them from my Dad when he passed away a couple of years ago.

Most TV’s now accept USB. I have a 500gb mobile drive with hundreds of hours of tv and films on it. Very convenient in the van. One day we will get to try it out.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most TV’s now accept USB. I have a 500gb mobile drive with hundreds of hours of tv and films on it. Very convenient in the van. One day we will get to try it out.

John
Good idea, but how many hours did it take you to load all those films etc? Another thing we now have redundant VHS machine and also a Bluray DVD player. I will hang onto both especially the DVD player as keeping a couple of box sets like It ain't half hot, Dads Army, Are you being served, Ice Age(A favourite).

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Good idea, but how many hours did it take you to load all those films etc? Another thing we now have redundant VHS machine and also a Bluray DVD player. I will hang onto both especially the DVD player as keeping a couple of box sets like It ain't half hot, Dads Army, Are you being served, Ice Age(A favourite).

I have a DVD player in my computer so each film has to be downloaded and then made into an mp4 format. Some have protection which needs to be overcome. But once set up, a lot of the copying can be done in the background.

If you don’t have a built in DVD you would have to connect your player which would depend on what inputs and outputs you have.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a DVD player in my computer so each film has to be downloaded and then made into an mp4 format. Some have protection which needs to be overcome. But once set up, a lot of the copying can be done in the background.

If you don’t have a built in DVD you would have to connect your player which would depend on what inputs and outputs you have.

John
My new laptop does not have a DVD player, but I still have the old laptop with the DVD player however still very time consuming as a box set can be several or more hours.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My new laptop does not have a DVD player, but I still have the old laptop with the DVD player however still very time consuming as a box set can be several or more hours.

Only in real time, downloading, converting and copying are much quicker. But nevertheless, it’s time consuming.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It is time consuming but you don't need to sit in front of the machine watching it as it rips (jargon for copy) each DVD. It can take many minutes to do each one.

I use a program called Makemkv, from Makemkv.com. It needs a little bit of learning how to drive it, as will most programs, but once learnt its an easy process to follow. It will overcome most copy protection - the only ones I find it can't handle are some Disney Dvds. It will rip out just the main movie or episode files, so you get rid of all the superflous stuff like ads and trailers. Plus it makes a copy that has the same quality as the original - technically not transcoded.

FWIW: I have a Raspberry Pi that acts as my media center. It runs Kodi which is the Media Manager and Player. I have attached 4TBytes of hard drive on which all my ripped DVDs, Home Movies, Slideshows and Music reside. It connects to the TV through the HDMI interface. I only rip the DVDs we're likely to want to watch again and again. We don't watch live TV, so no TV license.

You can also attach a USB TV tuner and Kodi can have an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to act as your interface to online TV content and over the air.

Streaming media services are good but the content is not always upto date and can be taken down at any time. A couple of series we were watching disappeared before we got to the end.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
We keep DVDs in the caravan, as we really only watch them when we can't get a usable TV signal - which usually happens on sites where the 5G is rubbish as well!

We know we could transfer them to stick or laptop, but don't really see the advantage as our caravan TV has a working DVD player.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Have you got Saving Grace (starring Brenda Blethyn) amongst your collection?
I’ve been after a copy for ages, bought one a while back but the quality is desperate.

Kev

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have you got Saving Grace (starring Brenda Blethyn) amongst your collection?
I’ve been after a copy for ages, bought one a while back but the quality is desperate.

Kev
A soundtrack track in the film was by Sherena Dugani. She is married to the guy leading my kitchen installation. He’s an accomplished musician, great nature photographer and absolutely meticulous in is work.. Small world.

https://artistrack.com/beautiful-mess-tumbling-down/

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts