On Board Water system replacement

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
As this post will show I'm not particularly technically minded.

We have a Van Royce 410/2 with an onboard water tank. I would like to be able to either:-

a) change this for an external pump/Aquaroll system with an optional mains water hook up as we are spending a lot of time on the continent with water to each pitch or

b) alternatively be able to switch between the two systems and also update the rather noisy internal pump. Does anyone have any advice regarding a) feasability and b)possible sources of getting the work done preferably not a main dealer as their prices for anything seem rather exorbitant.

Any help would be much appreciated

Nick

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nicholas,

I cannot understand why you wish to change anything and incur the weight and space penalty of carrying an Aquaroll.

I spend up to 5 months per year on French sites and I carry some food grade hose and fill the on-board tank from the tap.

If I am too far from the tap, I use a 14 litre plastic watering can to fill the tank, it's only 3 trips to fill 40 litres.

(14 litre plastic watering cans can be bought very cheaply from French supermarkets.)

Now for pump noise.

Assuming that your diaphram pump itself is OK, I would check its' mountings. The pump should be mounted on rubber bushes and not directly on the floor or wood work. If it isn't, I would mount it on a piece of ply wood and glue this plywood to some rubber/foam/carpet underlay and then stick this to the floor.

Make sure that the water pipes to the pump are not stretched too tightly and that the pump is not touching anything that is likely to transmit noise.

Good luck & happy caravanning.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I gather that the higher the water output of the pump the noisier it is for obvious reasons.

The internal tank submersible pump in our van was noisy until I managed to move it so it did not vibrate against the tank base. On site another caravanner showed me how he had drilled some holes in a thick walled plastic drinks like container with the pipe and cable running out through the lid. The numerous small holes let the water to the pump and the pump when set inside the container was held in place and was really hard to hear.

H

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Yes it is a Shurflow type pump at the moment and noise is one of the main problems, which is onw of the reasons to consider replacing it. I would in an ideal world like the flexibility of both systems as I try not to travel with a lot of water in the onboard tank and already carry the Aquaroll as it is a legacy from my last van and needed to fetch water from sites without serviced pitches.

TRENDING THREADS