onbourd watertanks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Iam just thinking of buying lunar delta 520/2 which as an

onbourd watertank could anyone tell me anying about

the way they work,are they a good thing or not?.

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Roy,

On the last caravan that I owned,a Swift Corniche 2 berth,it had an underslung external water tank. Overall in my opinion I thought it was a waste of time because

1.Im on a watermeter at home so filling before I set off was a no no.

2. It seemed pointless pulling extra weight when water is readily available on sites.

3. I had to make several trips to the tap on site to get it filled with the external water container.I ended up wasting a lot of the water at the end of each holiday,as I drained it before we returned.

I suppose if you were in the middle of nowhere,where there wasnt a readily available water supply,then it would be a useful thing to have.

There was a switch in the van which could be set on external/internal depending on which tank was being used.

Cheers Richard

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Roy,

I have had onboard water tanks on my last 5 caravans, one of which was a Lunar 520/2. It is a matter of choice but i would not buy a caravan without an onboard tank.

We do a lot of winter caravanning, irrespective of weather conditions, just fill the tank and forget about the outside temperature.No danger of the aqauroll, or pipe to the aqauroll freezing. When i see some of the methods people use to stop their aquaroll from freezing, and then having to uncover it to fill it, then replace the cover i am glad i have an onboard tank.

Never ever tow your caravan with water in the tank.

You know when you will be leaving the site so you can use most or all of the water in the tank the day before leaving.

Most onboard tanks, like the one in our Swift Conqueror 655 hold about 45 litres, so one full aquaroll will fill the onboard tank.

The 520/2 tank is in the nearside rear corner in the base of the wardrobe. We found it worked well.The Shurflo pump gives good even water pressure.

Hamer

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Roy , I have just bought my first van with an on board water tank.

Best thing since sliced bread.

Our new van is a Sterling so same stable and all that, the advantage comes when on a full serviced pitch .

What you need to do is buy the valve that fits in your aqua roll like the toilet systern, that keeps you on board tank topped up and then your hose from tap to aqua roll permanantly turned so no more fetching water:)

Good Luck .Sir Roger

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
A very useful option. Filling it is not an issue. Ours requires about 2 Aquarolls to fill the system and tank, and then a third one ready as a top up. For a given volume of water you have to make the same number of trips tank or not...and clearly you wouldn't brim it the day before you leave. As the tank is shaded under the van, water remains much cooler than the Aquaroll sitting in the sun. On serviced pitches, you can also fill the tank direct with a Whale Aquasource, if you don't want mains pressure in the van

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Wait for it!!!How do we fill our onboard tank and where is it?We have a 20O3 Fleetwood Heritage and have only used the aquaroll.Himself is completely confuddled now!!!!No change there then!!!

Thursdays Child

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe anyone would think to fill a water-tank BEFORE they set off! Not only does it make the caravan colossally heavy, but it is extremely dangerous, making the outfit highly-unstable and likely invalidating your insurance! You should always drain the tank completely before towing.

The main advantage of an onboard tank is that you have more water stored right at the van (very helpful on a site without a shower/toilet block, for example!), and to keep the temperature of the water above freezing if you tour in the winter. I don't know about keeping it cooler during warm weather but I can see that it might do this, too.

It's very easy to fill/use; just 'plug' the connector hose from the aquaroll in exactly the same way you normally would, and then open an additional tap inside the caravan (in my case, under the front chest) to fill the tank. One aquaroll = approx one full tank. You can then refill the aquaroll and have it ready to top up the tank, if you want. It isn't necessary to fill the tank fully to use it (the caravan's control display will tell you how much water is in the tank), or even use the tank at all - you can set the internal tap to feed water directly from the aquaroll to the caravan, bypassing the tank altogether (if you're only having an overnight stop, for example).

Regards, Abi

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
It does keep the water cooler. The same principle was used on Swifts (Corvette I think)at one time, which had a food storage compartment in the floor. As the space under the van is narrow, air has to travel faster when there is a breeze, than it does beyond the sides of the van. Hence the cooling effect.

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Abi,

Because you think about something doesnt mean that you are actually going to do it.

You will see from my reply to the original thread,that I rejected the idea on cost and weight grounds alone,even though I may have thought about it before setting off.

Cheers Richard

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Roy,

I have had onboard water tanks on my last 5 caravans, one of which was a Lunar 520/2. It is a matter of choice but i would not buy a caravan without an onboard tank.

We do a lot of winter caravanning, irrespective of weather conditions, just fill the tank and forget about the outside temperature.No danger of the aqauroll, or pipe to the aqauroll freezing. When i see some of the methods people use to stop their aquaroll from freezing, and then having to uncover it to fill it, then replace the cover i am glad i have an onboard tank.

You know when you will be leaving the site so you can use most or all of the water in the tank the day before leaving.

Most onboard tanks, like the one in our Swift Conqueror 655 hold about 45 litres, so one full aquaroll will fill the onboard tank.

The 520/2 tank is in the nearside rear corner in the base of the wardrobe. We found it worked well.The Shurflo pump gives good even water pressure.

Hamer
I have a Lunar DElta TI with a tank under the fixed bed and i froze up at new year even with the heating on all the time

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Some good points and some not so good. My tank is under the fixed bed with the pump next to it. If you are in bed and someone runs water the pump makes a right noise, lie in over !!!. If you rally and dont have electric hook ups you have to pump the water into the tank , then when you turn on the tap again you use electric , so twice the power taken out of the battery !!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SWMBO would never be without the onboard tank. During winter caravanning it never freezes up. She showers to her hearts content.

I also note the water pressure at the shower head and taps is greater when using the onboard tank rather than the aquarolls.

Agree with others NEVER tow with water in either hot or cold tanks.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
On most vans you do have the choice of either using the on board tank or pulling from the aqua roll.

I like the use of the on board tank and only have 1 aqua roll now,tow with the hot water tank full and never had any stability problems,12 kgs of water have 2 calorlite now so no difference in noseweight.

Get onsite fill on board tank the re-fill aqua roll and have 100lts on tap.

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Roy,

Hamer
Hi Graham

i am also from derby with the delta with the onboard

tank could tell the make of the pumps, and if you

can work straight from the aquaroll.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts